• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Time of year: calmest seas for night crossing in south?

Discussion in 'Red Sea' started by Parlem, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Parlem

Parlem Angel Fish

Thank you, Jason! Your advice is duly noted. And very useful. This is a long term holiday plan for us and I tend to do as much research as is reasonably possible before committing to dates, area and boat. So all very handy and welcome!

chillyinCanada likes this.
  2. Christian

Christian Manta Ray

Less ”stomp” in the back of the boat on the lower deck. However, depending on construction, engine noise can be worse. As a rule of thumb summer is calmer, but as noted, the Red Sea is a ”wind tunnel” and it can blow anytime.

3. arew+4

arew+4 Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Look for a boat that has a gyroscopic stabilizer. I just saw these things on "How it's Made". Not sure if they make them for live aboard size boats. They definitely reduce side to side roll, don't know about pitch bow to stern

4. Mod63

Mod63 Dive Con

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    No stablilizer on any boat that I know.

5. John Bantin

John Bantin Dive Shop

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Many years ago, I was a dive guide on the LJV and I have a vivid memory of the newly fitted GPS reading "ETA: Never" when we were punching north from the Sudan to Egypt, because we weren't making any headway - so it's the journey back that is testing. It was mid-Summer too!

Parlem, Christian and chillyinCanada like this.
  6. Sunn

Sunn Barracuda

John gave you the perfect example... there is usually a better sea in summer, but it's not a rule...
    Mareol Caja X 12 Tabletas

Parlem likes this.