Time limit between pool and Open Water Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no experience with RR but have heard good things about them. If schedules do not align, you may consider Horizon Divers. I have witnessed them certifying several minors over the years - most recently a ninth grader two days ago. They have their act together. They are a PADI shop so your original instructor and evaluating instructor will need to complete the SDI Global Referral Form. If you have an SDI log, a copy may be in it already. Good luck.
Please note: not all PADI instructors/shops accept the Global Referral Forms. If you take an SDI referral to a PADI shop, you may find you have to take the final PADI exam, do some more skills, pay more, and end up with a PADI cert card. Check first, and don't assume all will be OK and that you'll get an SDI card.

The certification must be completed within 12 months of the start of the e-learning. If it has been several months since the pool sessions I would recommend another pool session to review skills before open water dives. As far as I know there has not been any waiver due to the virus. SDI headquarters is in Stuart, Florida and the number is 888-778-9073. Call and ask.

Since PADI and SDI are both members of the RSTC they are "supposed" to honor each others referral. I have see some PADI shops refuse to accept a referral from SDI instructors. That is their right as a business to refuse, but I think it's very short sighted. The minimum requirements for skills and knowledge are determined by the RSTC so any student that has a referral should be ready.

they do /should ...............plus the global form is checked off and brought back to the original instructor to the cert ......if you still want the sdi c card

I think a more relevant issue, is that the longer the time between sheltered water lessons, and open water lessons, the more the students skills deteriorate. This is no reflection on the student, or the instructor. It is a fact.
Experienced divers skills deteriorate after a prolonged period out of the water, they have the advantage that they have embed skills learnt and practiced over a prolonged period of time.

We have a similar issue in our club, we have a group of students, who learnt over the winter, and where supposed to progress to open water in April. We had the lock down, and even thought this has been lifted, currently, no teaching is allowed. We are discussing how we support them and encourage them to continue once 'things return to normal'. Additional tuition to bring their skills back up to scratch, is not an issue, we have the instructors, and facilities. The bigger issue is maintaining interest and enthusiasm over another winter.

Gareth

I think a more relevant issue, is that the longer the time between sheltered water lessons, and open water lessons, the more the students skills deteriorate. This is no reflection on the student, or the instructor. It is a fact.
Experienced divers skills deteriorate after a prolonged period out of the water, they have the advantage that they have embed skills learnt and practiced over a prolonged period of time.

In the last OW class I taught at a shop, I had a student, a good one, miss the open water dive weekend (as an independent with only 2 students, my schedule is much more flexible - at least when I resume teaching). Her option was to repeat the confined water sessions in the next month and do the open water with another instructor. She wasn't too keen on that, but I strongly believe in having no more than a week between confined and open water. As an independent, I have two weekends with one day confined water, then open water the next. The third weekend is open water both days. Now I'm flexible (and only take 2 students). If a student has to miss a weekend, we go back to confined water first.

Sure agencies allow a fair bit of time to pass, and it is probably not a big deal in ideal tropical open water conditions. But cold, dark water? No thanks.

Since PADI and SDI are both members of the RSTC they are "supposed" to honor each others referral. I have see some PADI shops refuse to accept a referral from SDI instructors. That is their right as a business to refuse, but I think it's very short sighted. The minimum requirements for skills and knowledge are determined by the RSTC so any student that has a referral should be ready.

they do /should ...............plus the global form is checked off and brought back to the original instructor to the cert ......if you still want the sdi c card

PADI says this:
May I complete open water dives via the “universal” or “global” referral process and send the diver back to the originating instructor for certification?

Choosing to conduct a nonPADI program is completely up to you. These types of referrals are not within the scope of PADI Standards and programs. Therefore, whether or not you accept them is your business choice. It's recommended that you fully inform yourself before making such a decision by thoroughly researching the issue.

What problems have arisen from PADI Instructors accepting a Universal or Global referral?

Customer service issues have been a problem. Universal Referral students have had their open water dives conducted by a PADI Instructor, but the original instructor subsequently refused to issue their certifications resulting in very upset customers.

Accident issues are potentially far more serious. The “Universal Referral Manual” states that divers completing the open water dives receive a temporary card that is valid for 30 days. There have been cases where divers, after completing their Universal Referral open water training dives, went diving in the days following and suffered accidents. The core question is whether or not the divers were qualified divers prior to their original instructor issuing certification, and which party is responsible for the divers. The entire issue is complex and you should be aware of these possible legal complications.
I'm a PADI instructor. I won't accept a Universal/Global referral. I don't know the standards for that referring agency, so how can I evaluate the student? Nor do I want to get near the possible legal issues if an accident were to occur during or soon after my involvment.

its your right to be uninformed .........i look up other agencies (that i dont teach ) standards , but thats me ............i know now not to recommend you

I assume it is SDI, since the post is in the SDI forum.
If PADI, there is NO time limit if the OW dives are done by the same instructor or shop.
A referral to a different shop is 12 months from the date of the last confined water session.
One trick is to try and get (and probably pay for) a pool refresher from the original shop....that restarts the 12-month referral clock.
while true, even with the same shop don't be surprised if they mandate a confined water refresher before open water dives if its a year or more....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom