Time for new camera - Canon G16 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I did post some comments on a Sony Rx100 thread .. but thought worth pulling this into it's own thread.

Just when I was about to buy the Canon G15 and it's housing ... find out there is a new Canon G16 launched.
Does all G15 can do (same lens & features)
Additions:
The G15 had good AF capability.... G16 increases this by 41%
G16 now has full UHS Class 1 support for faster data transfer (burst mode or video)
Has Wifi and GPS
Increase in fps form 2.1 (which was low) to 12.2
Impressive increase in HD video to support 60 fps
DIGIC processor now takes a step up to Digic 6, with claimed big increases in low light performance.

An increase in autofocus speed combined with x5 increase in burst mode (at least initial) could make it very useful benefits for Underwater use.

It's very bright f1.8 lens is the same, with it's 1cm min focus distance for macro
Another first for G Series is "Focus peaking"

As usual Canon have their own housing .. this time the WP-DC52, I know this is not up to a Nauticam/Fantasea or similar but it's 40m capability probably well matched to this non-SLR happy snapper camera.

I have the same setup for the G15 with the WP-DC48 housing and love it. I'm extremely happy with everything about my G15, and with these improvements I anticipate an underwater photographer would be even happier.

The jump from 24fps HD video up to 60fps was quite a surprise.

The G16 has a smaller capture area than the RX100 and a 140mm zoom things look bigger with the G camera than the Sony
The Sony has superior image quality and you can crop
In general terms the G series are macro machines only and not good for wide angle, the Sony RX100 is very versatile and offers superior image quality and incredible video with one of the best wide angle quality on the market even including Micro 4:3

Im looking at the rx100/g15/g16 and don't know which one to get.... I want to do macro that's for sure

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom