Tiller Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Groundhog246

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone been on the tiller wreck recently? Wondering about bottom conditions. PM'd OTE about a charter Aug 1, if he's not running at the moment are there any other charter boats doing the Tiller?

Would also welcome suggestions for any shore dives in that neck of the woods.

Thanks

Hi

OTE Johnathan is working for a paveing company for the summer building roads, perhaps his buds are running the charter for him.

Mr A

Hey Groundhog ma' buddy.......

I haven't been on the Tiller in, like a month!

Beside's OTE, there's John of Pearl Divers at 905-684-0294, I'm not sure if that's the number you're supposed to be using, but that'll get you to him. I think he might have boat problems now too, so I've heard through the grape-vine, but I haven't confirmed that. There's also another fellow out of Grimsby. Joe at www.adventurescuba.ca phone number 905-938-3483 will have his info I think. I've never been on his boat.

Steve

P.S. He does have a couple guys that can run the boat, but I guess they're all busy with their "real" jobs. Then there's us nobodys that just "help", loosely we're called "crew" :)

As for the conditions, they're always the same, 39 degrees give-or-take 1 degree. Always 114ft to the mud, I usually get about 116ft :) The "china" is still missing, but I dive for the wreck itself :) It's still beautiful, minus the carving on the stern........."Kelly".

I was there earlier this month for the first time ever. I found her eerily beautiful: the lack of anything else around her, sitting upright in the middle of the lake bottom all by herself. It certainly was chilly, plus there were a couple of thermoclines: one just below 30' and another past 60'. But the viz was incredible that day: her entire length was already visible from 60' below the surface. Not much of a current to write home about.

John's motor was coughing up a lot of smoke when I was on her at the beginning of the month. Plus, the floor board covering the engine decided to um...give way when I stepped on it. I practically fell into the engine compartment.

That would be the Pearl Diver boat?, I assume, since OTE's is an outboard.

For the record. OTE's boat has a good "floor", but the Bilge is something yucky :)

Steve

Yah, Pearl Diver. Please don't get me wrong: John took great care of us, and his boat is comfy...just that if there's something I can trip on or crash into on land, I usually do. Thank goodness it's different underwater! LOL

I was wondering the same thing.

I'm gonna be down in Port Colbourne area this long weekend and although I'm busy Saturday, I'm looking to fill up Sunday and Monday with some diving........ Any ideas? Would prefer to hang out with people from the board as opposed to just showing up at an unfamiliar dive shop looking to charter............

Yeah I like John (Pearl Diver John, as opposed to Jon (OTE)). He's a real nice guy. I've tried to get on his new boat this year when Jon (OTE) wasn't running, but the schedules as of yet haven't matched.

Damn names anyway!

Well, I like Jon too, but ya know what I mean..........Uhggggg, I'll just shut-up now....

Steve

P.S. I usually leave my tripping and crashing for underwater, or the entry into it. DiveMistress says I have the grace of a bull in a china shop on my entries. (Roll over the side putting the shoulder into it, complete wth doubles and occassional stage.) hehehehe I can't see why????

P.P.S. Freefloat

2 shops in the area:

Dansdiveshop 905-984-2160

AdventureScuba 905-938-3483

I have no idea of either's hours for the long weekend. As of last week, AdventureScuba didn't yet have Nitrox, but this is going to change, if it hasn't already. Of course Dans has all the gases you may need.

Talk to Adventure RE: Port Colborne/Lake Erie diving. Sooner is better than later.

FreeFloat:
I was wondering the same thing.

I'm gonna be down in Port Colbourne area this long weekend and although I'm busy Saturday, I'm looking to fill up Sunday and Monday with some diving........ Any ideas? Would prefer to hang out with people from the board as opposed to just showing up at an unfamiliar dive shop looking to charter............

If you can put something together, I would be interested, dependant on price...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom