Tiger, tiger burning bright!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belushi, have you seen the latest Diver magazine? There's a small article by your mate Chad regarding the tiger sharks, with a photo of one of them.

Any chance you could email me the video clip you have? Would be most grateful.

email : barthur@boeinternational.com

Cheers

He also did a very funny piece in Dive Girl about women and diving!

... but on this occassion Christian is right. That is a grey reef shark. A big one I grant you. Check out this for Bull sharks and notice the difference in the shape of the pectoral fins, and how there should be another fin near his tail.

http://www.geocities.com/leojags/bullshark.html

Clive,

You are correct about Bull Sharks off the coast of Africa. They are there. In fact, I think they account for more attacks on swimmers/surfers/"sea going humans" than any other shark in the area, including the Great White.

If you want to see aggresive Bull sharks, dive off the coast of Kenya.

As for Whale Sharks, they are "rare everywhere, so of course they would be considered rare in the Red Sea. I've seen one so far (at a distance) while in the Similian Islands off of Thailand.

As far as Orcas go, I have never heard of them in Thailand. That doesn't mean they are not there. But I have never even heard a hint of them there.

As someone who likes to believe and preach about the amazing beauty of the sea, I hate to say this, but the person who started this thread is winding people up. I managed both a resort in sharm and a liveaboard in the south for over 5 years and would be hard pressed to find what he had in 1 week over the past 7 years. I have never seen a bull shark in the red sea, but have seen hundreds in southern africa ( same goes for tigers), have seen hammerheads when they have chosen to be seen, have seen mantas(very rarely in the north, but fairly often in Sudan, much more in mozambique.) I wish it was true, but as someone who has been diving daily and in a position to hear reports from all over the red sea, at best, I'm very, very doubtful. Heck, dm's with thousands of dives in sharm get wood over a black tips. Anyway, I'm sure there are amazing things lurking in the depths in the red sea, however, I'm pretty sure they didn't swim up for just one dive and then turned around and headed back for the deep.....

As someone who likes to believe and preach about the amazing beauty of the sea, I hate to say this, but the person who started this thread is winding people up. I managed both a resort in sharm and a liveaboard in the south for over 5 years and would be hard pressed to find what he had in 1 week over the past 7 years. I have never seen a bull shark in the red sea, but have seen hundreds in southern africa ( same goes for tigers), have seen hammerheads when they have chosen to be seen, have seen mantas(very rarely in the north, but fairly often in Sudan, much more in mozambique.) I wish it was true, but as someone who has been diving daily and in a position to hear reports from all over the red sea, at best, I'm very, very doubtful. Heck, dm's with thousands of dives in sharm get wood over a black tips. Anyway, I'm sure there are amazing things lurking in the depths in the red sea, however, I'm pretty sure they didn't swim up for just one dive and then turned around and headed back for the deep...
hey me again, also worked in thailand 6 years...never heard of orcas but is more possible than the red sea stuff. chased a whale shark in hurghada during a surface interval and was nearly considered a rock star...not the behaviour I would expect in a place where they're common. Also since I have seen them (in season) 1/7 in utila, 1/4 in africa, and 1/13 in thailand. they're in the red, but not common.... hope they become more common.....

Christian once bubbled...
Suppose you're talking to me. Can´t find anything that supports that Bulls are in the Red Sea, besides a "sightings map" which has no what so ever scientific grounds.

And the fact that they show a picture of a grey reef shark next to the fact file about bull sharks doesn't give very much credibility to the page.

/c

they may well have mixed up the pictures, just because you can't find any evidence doesn't mean it isn't so, that is what I have been trying to say, because you say no, then it is so

what about the prehistoric fish that died millions of years ago?

they are living nicely off the african coast thank you very much.

there are new animals being discivered all the time and in new places (above and below the water), i find it best to keep an open mind rather than a blinkered one

you never know what is around the next rock!

see this months diver mag www.divernet.com for diving with monsters!

"they may well have mixed up the pictures, just because you can't find any evidence doesn't mean it isn't so, that is what I have been trying to say, because you say no, then it is so"

Clive,

It's not because I say so. It's the opinion of the gathered shark expertise in the world.

If you read my earlier posts, you will find that I agree on the importance of keeping an open mind. However you have to draw the line somewhere. Unless the Bull Shark, which is a coastal water living spieces, has transformed into a deep sea living creature in the Red Sea, it is very unlikely that the Red Sea holds a residing population.

Trust me. I've already talked to some of the most knowledgeable people regarding this matter. You just have to give up on this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom