Tiger Beach in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblesmd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Work is taking me on a trip to Miami in January and I was thinking of taking a 1-2 day trip to Grand Bahamas to go to Tiger Beach.

Is early January 10-11ish a good time to see Tiger sharks? I was hoping to get pics where you see a ton of sharks. Question from my spouse, is it relatively "safe"?

Is it storm season in January in the Bahamas? What's the likelihood I get there and my trip is canceled due to weather?

Any recommended outfitters?

As a Bahama newbie visiting for the first time, are the Bahamas safe? Do I need to rent a car or can I safely take an Uber? Do I need cash or is VISA taken everywhere?

THANKS!

the bigger issue is having enough people for the charter boat leaving from the west end, not always guaranteed you will have the boat minimum. bimini for the hammerheads is a better guarantee in that aspect.

the bigger issue is having enough people for the charter boat leaving from the west end, not always guaranteed you will have the boat minimum. bimini for the hammerheads is a better guarantee in that aspect.
And, Bimini is better hidden from big weather, is a 10 minute ride from the dock, and hammers are exponentially cooler than tigers.

As well as much “safer”.

tiger beach is pretty safe, don't think they have had any issues since that one missing diver in 2014, but that may have been a general dive accident rather than an attack. there also was one snorkeler that got attacked in 2019, but that wasn't at tiger beach rather at one of the beaches with the swimming pigs.

January and I was thinking of taking a 1-2 day trip to Grand Bahamas to go to Tiger Beach.
Fly or doing a 'Crossing' for a 1 day trip?

I'd bet a 90% NO-GO on a crossing for Jan 10-11th

I was hoping to get pics where you see a ton of sharks.
Have you heard about the lemon sharks in Jupiter, Fl in January for mating season??

tiger beach is pretty safe, don't think they have had any issues since that one missing diver in 2014, but that may have been a general dive accident rather than an attack. there also was one snorkeler that got attacked in 2019, but that wasn't at tiger beach rather at one of the beaches with the swimming pigs.
For the number of divers that visit, TB is indeed “pretty safe”.

There have been a ton of close calls/minor bites that go unreported.

I have friends in this category.

The Black Knight dives at Tiger Beach

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom