TIFF vs JPEG vs PSD(?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrea31419 once bubbled...
No, I've got Microsoft Picture It. I'll check out PS Elements.

Dee, I've changed my mind on cameras...I'm getting the Olympus C4040Z.

Andrea

Gee....was it something I said? :D :D :D I think you'll be glad.

BTW...I was trying to use MS Picture It and it's just so elementry compared to Photoshop El. My camera came with Photoshop LE which only showed me what was possible. You'll be amazed at the things you can do with Elements.

ColonelChuck...thanks for the tutorial link!

I'll echo Photoshop Elements 2. Make sure you get 2. Costco and Sam's Club both have it for $79 less a $30 rebate. It may still be available from amazon for the same less another $30 directly from Amazon. I haven't checked it lately. It does most of what big Photoshop does for those of us who don't have to drive commercial printers.

Andrea, yer not the only one she's suckered into getting a C4040 and probably not the last. I havn't regretted it yet, I'm sure you'll love it. :yeah:

As the folks have advised above pay attention to:
1. the scan settings. Depending on what software comes bundled with your scanner make sure you set the following correctly:
- output type: 16.7 million colours (some call it 'Best' or 'Color Photograph')
- resolution or dpi
2. Use reasonable quality image editing software like Photoshop, PS Elements or even Paint Shop Pro.

You can use IrfanView (Windows only) to browse, view, batch convert, scan - it also has some very basic image enhancement functionality but I prefer Photoshop ofcourse. It's free, and if you shoot using a digital camera it will show you the EXIF data as well:

http://www.irfanview.com/

You can scan directly to it and save using IrfanView - this will ensure you get the correct TIFF format.

Agape once bubbled...
Andrea, yer not the only one she's suckered into getting a C4040 and probably not the last. I havn't regretted it yet, I'm sure you'll love it. :yeah:

I resemble that remark! :eek:ut:

I have used Picture it and Photoshop Elements 2 and I LOVE ELEMENTS!

Its easy to use--not intimidating and I feel I have alot more options in enhancing the pics!

Yes , absolutely save original scans as tiff files . Then , if you have any kind of processing software , use it to its full advantage .
The help files are quite easy to follow , and there's always a few tips and pointers to be had in these forums . :)
The attached photo should suffice as an example .
Originaly a 400 asa speed Fuji film , and taken on a very mediocre MX5 ( although having said that , very handy to keep in your BCD pocket ) its original scan was done on 300 DPI on a pretty standard scanner . The trick is to try all the available options . :rolleyes:
Subsequently worked on with Camedia Master and PhotoImpact and saved as a JPG format .
Not too bad when you consider that those blues are very dense and not too easy to work on .

As with most things in life , practice makes perfect=-)

regards

Whitetip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom