Thumb drive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I just recieved a thumb drive from Iraq and am dying to view the pictures. Anyone know the trick to using one of these thumb drives? I plugged it in to the port, but then what?

If it's a *modern* computer with atleast windows 2000/xp then it should automatically create a drive letter on your computer. You can then access the drive by double clicking on "My Computer" and selecting the drive letter that it was assigned. Usually e - z as a and b are reserved for floppy drives, c drive is the hard drive, and d is usually the cd/cdrw/dvd drive.

Plug it in, open up the "my compter" icon on your desktop it should magically appear as a disk drive, with a new drive letter that you can browse.

This might take a few seconds, however if it's been a minute and nothing happened, there's a problem. You might try a different USB port. If that doesn't work, reboot your computer and try it again.

If it still doesn't work, make sure you're running either Windows 2000, Windows XP or newer, since the older versions had no native USB support.

If it still doesn't work, write back and I'll tell you more . . .

Terry

catherine96821:
I just recieved a thumb drive from Iraq and am dying to view the pictures. Anyone know the trick to using one of these thumb drives? I plugged it in to the port, but then what?

got it guys. thanks. Yea, it was in the wrong port...oops.

catherine96821:

:lol:​
Been there, done that - many times...!

FWIW, there isn't any "wrong" USB port. They should all be the same.

One or another will just go off into la-la-land sometimes. You can always try a different one or a reboot.

Terry

catherine96821:

Some USB ports have more power than others, like those in an unpowered hub or a keyboard will be weak. And some things won't work in the lower powered ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom