Through the housing controls for a camera mechanical/optical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markwilson

Reaction score
I have built 3 underwater camera housings for my video cameras. The housings work quite well.

However; I turn on the camera and put it in the case. Then I use an IR to turn it on before diving.

I'm at the point that I want controls. I have rigged an interface to an IR controller in the housing, but I need waterproof switches for the controls.

I thought about using magnetic switches with a magnet in my glove.

But I would like to check all possibilities.
Does anyone know the manufacturer of underwater switches like those used on the bluefins etc??

I might suggest using fiber optics as an interface. There is a company that makes fiber optic interfaces for underwater camera lenses and I have had some contact with them. They are very helpfull even if you are not going to be a paying customer. They are REALLY for the high end of underwater photography. I would ask them if there is any way to operate you camera externally. jbvoptical.com then select "Underwater Camera Systems"

I use Ikelite controls through my housing to turn record on and off. It basically is a metal rod with a couple of gland seals with a knob on the end to rotate. You can go to ikelite.com to get the part #'s and take these to your LDS to have them ordered. The hardest part was drilling the hole into my housing.

-Tom

I agree with Tommygun. I've built several housings myself and the Ikelite controls are great. They're easy to use and not to much trouble to install. The Ikelite web site has a whole list of different types and sizes. Just figure out what you need and have an Ikelite dealer order them for you.

I found that all JVC consumer cameras that have IR respond to a JVC remote for start/stop and zoom. I took an old IR remote and connected magnetic reed switches to the unit. Sewed a magnet into my glove finger tip, now I can control it with no problem. I have pictures of the project and will get them posted soon on my web site.

Best part, no holes.. It is affixed with velcro so I can move it from case to case.

Just use some brass 1/4" comprression fittings with o-rings and bend 1/4" alum according to location of camera switches.

Extreme out.

Back
Top Bottom