THREE questions: Bradenton, Pennekamp, and discover scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingMonkey

Reaction score
I'm heading down to Bradenton for a few days next week and I want to get a few dives in. Who would you recommend I make my reservations with? And what sites are most worth looking at?

I'm also planning to run down to Pennekamp later in the week, though I may just be a snorkeler because I'm going with a non-diver. In case I am able to dive, does anyone have any good or bad opinions of their operation or dive sites?

I would actually really like to get my friend in a discover course, but so far I've only found one price - $130 - for the instruction and a one-tank dive. Do any of you know if that's a reasonable sum? We're on a very very very tight budget, so unless we can find it cheaper, it's not gonna happen.

Thanks a lot!

M

In Bradenton find seatrek divers, right opposite is a broken up old barge, there are a couple of patch reefs in the area, but not that great. beyond that, head to Venice and go out looking for sharks teeth. As for Pennecamp, havent been down there yet, no help i guess. I dont know if anyone is off any of those days to dive with you as the sites arent that easy to find (except the sugar barge) - ask seatrek about conditions to gauge whether to bring gear!

DivingMonkey:
I would actually really like to get my friend in a discover course, but so far I've only found one price - $130 - for the instruction and a one-tank dive. Do any of you know if that's a reasonable sum? We're on a very very very tight budget, so unless we can find it cheaper, it's not gonna happen.

Thanks a lot!

M

The problem with the Keys is you're paying resort prices for Discover Scuba. Check with the different dive operators down there. You might be able to get a better price. Your friend could almost get certified for $130 in the Melbourne ara.... I think Open Water classes around here are going for $200-250.

Scuba_Dad:
The problem with the Keys is you're paying resort prices for Discover Scuba. Check with the different dive operators down there. You might be able to get a better price. Your friend could almost get certified for $130 in the Melbourne ara.... I think Open Water classes around here are going for $200-250.

Yea, well we're going to be around Bradenton for the majority of the trip, so I thought we'd have more time for him to take the course up there. And you're totally right - for three discover courses you could be certified... eh, I'll keep an eye out. Thanks!

Last weekend I dove with the guy we've been diving with since I moved here, and many of us would highly recommend him. Tell Brian you were referred by scubaboard.

Brian at Island Ventures (http://www.islandventure.com/contact.htm)
MileMarker:104.0; As you pull into Key Largo from Miami look on the right hand side of the road (Bayside) for our sign next to the Sundowner's and Sr. Frejoles restaurant's signs. Pull in Island Ventures is located at the docks.

Email: Dive@islandventure.com
Phone: 305-451-4957
Toll Free: 1-866-293-5006
Fax: 305-453-0121

You'll probably do a wreck and a reef. Here's a map of the area:
http://www.islandventure.com/images/keylargomap.pdf

I always have a great time with them, but I hear the others in the area are great as well. Have fun!

If you're willing to be separated, Pennekamp has other activities that can keep them occupied for the couple of hours you're out diving. The glass bottom boat departs and returns around the same time as the dive boat. You can rent a kayak and explore the trails. There are some nice spots for fishing. There are a couple of small beaches perfect for wiling away the day...

^ I may do a morning dive and leave him to wander about, then snorkel in the afternoon or something. I'd really like to dive there, but I want to be with him out in the water so he can see why I'm always ranting and raving about needing to find a potion to make me into a mermaid : ) but yea, i'm looking into how to plan that day.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom