Three divers die in a cave accident, Punta Iacco, Palinuro Italy Aug. 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The body of Silvio Anzola still has not been found and the press reports that it is not where the bodies of the 2 Mauro's were recovered! They say that these 2 were found face to face in the tunnel as though one turned back and re entered to help the other and the speculation is that the one with duel tanks may have got stuck and needed assistance... In the meantime the 3 rd diver may have become lost in another tunnel.. At this point it's all guess work

It sounds like the tunnel is too small for a double-tank setup to go through. Some parts of the dive gears got entangled with the tunnel wall.

NEL 1996 INCIDENTE A PUNTA IACCO. Nel 1996 morirono invece tre polacchi dell'Accademy Club di Cracovia persero la vita durante una immersione nella grotta 'Scaletta' a Punta Iacco. I corpi di Fall Spyrka (19 anni), Gregorz Sosinka (21) e Witold Olszowski (37), sono stati trovati all'interno di un cunicolo a 45 metri di profondità.
Fu invece proprio nelle acque di Cala Fetente che, il 16 agosto 1984, morirono due speleologi subacquei friulani, Stefano Modonetti, di 29 anni, e Luigi Savoi, di 28, mentre esploravano una grotta sottomarina.

Venerdì, 19 Agosto 2016

In 1996 three polish divers from cracovia died in the same tunnel....

The question of permanent installation of guidelines to the surface in caves and caverns has been debated a lot in cave diving circles. Some are adamantly opposed to the presence of a line that might lead unqualified divers to an area that is beyond their training and equipment; others argue that having the line there is safer for reasons that I am not going to go into now. (For the record, I am in that latter group myself.) Suffice it to say that there are good points on both sides of that argument.

In the case of Chac Mool and other such sites in Mexico and the rest of the world, these are very common CAVERN diving sites. That is primarily what people do there. Such sites really need to have a permanent guideline to the surface. In contrast, the site in question here has only a very small cavern zone, and it is very much a cave that should not be entered by anyone without proper training and equipment. It should at least have a sign clearly providing that warning.

There was a comment earlier that if you put a sign like that at one site, people not encountering a sign like that at other sites might think it is safe to go on. I have only dived caves in Florida and Mexico, and I cannot think of a single site that MIGHT be dived by an unqualified diver that does not have a warning sign at the end of the cavern zone. I would think that it would be possible to accomplish the same thing in Italy.

very sad news...condolences to family and friends....

The question of permanent installation of guidelines to the surface in caves and caverns has been debated a lot in cave diving circles. Some are adamantly opposed to the presence of a line that might lead unqualified divers to an area that is beyond their training and equipment; others argue that having the line there is safer for reasons that I am not going to go into now. (For the record, I am in that latter group myself.) Suffice it to say that there are good points on both sides of that argument.
[omissis]
.... I cannot think of a single site that MIGHT be dived by an unqualified diver that does not have a warning sign at the end of the cavern zone. I would think that it would be possible to accomplish the same thing in Italy.

Hello BJ,
cave culture here in Italy lags well behind what it is in Florida.
Having a permanent line (the golden line to use cave country language) requires maintenance.
I believe no line is better than an unreliable line. Also installing signs would require quite an undertaking from the cave diving community which is not funded and therefore would rely on self imposed fees.

I joined the Italian Speleological Society coming from Speleological Diving because some of the sumps I wanted to dive would require dry caving progression (I needed to learn that) and help from dry cavers to bring the equipment to the water. In exchange they get to know what there is behind a water obstacle and if the cave progresses further. But, to my knowledge, there is no project to install signs. The dry cavers believe we (the speleo divers) are kind of nuts :) but they happily help us out when asked!:cheers:

It might be time to bring this up to their attention and we might get Regions' funding (let's say the equivalent of counties) for a safety project.

Cheers

What level of training / certification did the divers have? (My ability to Google in Italian is very poor..) As a dive shop owner and a instructor, the credentials of at least 2 of the divers should be public knowledge.

Reading a few of the google translate articles leads me to believe that it was common practice to enter these caves without "proper" cave training. But maybe I am interpreting the articles incorrectly.

Is this another example of a situation where lack of knowledge leading to a build up of bravado is the prime contributor (like the Dr Deep and Cozumel bounce dive incidents).

The local authorities need to figure out solutions to prevent recurrence. Otherwise this accident will repeat itself. It may not be in in the next few years, as the accident is still fresh in the minds of the friends & families of the victims, but in 20 years or so later, the news fades away, new generation comes in & the history repeats.

The local authorities need to figure out solutions to prevent recurrence. Otherwise this accident will repeat itself. It may not be in in the next few years, as the accident is still fresh in the minds of the friends & families of the victims, but in 20 years or so later, the news fades away, new generation comes in & the history repeats.
As far as I could understand it they were an OW Instructor and Divemeaster no info about the level of the third diver.

As the sign says open water instructors have died in caves.
The previous of such accidents has been no longer than 4 years ago. Not 20 years.

GrimReaper.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom