Thoughts or Comments on the Magellan Mares HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABLAB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking into the Mares Magellan HD (vs the regular Mares Magellan) and wandering if anyone has any thoughts on this bc. It caught my eye because it seems pretty versatile as it has the lift (40lbs) and weight capacity (28 lbs combining the integrated and trim - I'm 170lbs and dive with 6 pounds in warm water) to work as a cold water bc and just light enough for travel. I travel to dive and have only dove warm water but would like to try some wreck diving off NY. Not dry suit but 7mm. I'm 35 dives in and just swapped out my 1st bc because it didn't fit well. Looking at back inflates maxing out at $500-600 range. Not quite sure if I'm ready to make the jump to BP/W especially since I will not be getting into technical diving. Thanks all.

Most of my gear is Mares but all of their BCD's including the Magellan's are big bulky BCD's. 40 lb's of lift is way to much for single tank diving, 30 lbs or less is all you need. I only use a 30 lb wing with my drysuit and 108 LP steel tanks.
I would look at these options.
Dive Rite Hydro Lite BCD. It has 30 lbs of lift and can carry 12 lbs of weight. The only thing I would do is change out the bottom velcro tank strap for a proper cam strap. Hydro Lite BCD - Dive Rite

Dive Rite TransPac Harness, then you can get what ever wing you want for it. I'm not a fan of the Dive Rite wings because they require a Single Tank Adaptor. It might be a little over your budget too.

BP/W are not just for technical divers, a lot of rereational divers use them. I have a Sub Gravity 3mm aluminum BP, 26 lb wing (their wings don't require a STA), drop down small weight pockets and adjustable harness for my travel BP/W. I love the their adjustable harness. Since you going to use the BCD for cold water diving also, I would get the 3mm stainless BP and 30 lb wing. Paragon Single Tank Package - SubGravity

Back
Top Bottom