Thoughts on this set-up, please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O'Malley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just getting started w/ underwater photography and considering this set-up...

• Olympus Stylus 600 w/ Oly PT-029 housing ($299 & $159)
  • Sea & Sea YS-15 Auto Sea Arm Light, single set ($339)
Simply looking no more than to capture memorable experiences, download to PC and share with a family of non-divers...no professional asiprations here. Any insight would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

This may not work for you but for "on the cheap" recreational use those $15.00 disposable underwater Cameras from Fugi or Kodak take some decent snapshots. Develop them to disk and you can e-mail to your friends.

I don't know about the camera as I haven't seen one.

I'd be concerned that the strobe is pretty light on power, but that's a personal thing. For another $30 or so bucks you could move to the Sea & Sea 60 (assuming this model is compatible)....www.reefphotovideo.com under strobes...

rapidiver:
those $15.00 disposable underwater Cameras from Fugi or Kodak take some decent snapshots.
This is true, especially in shallow water; sometimes depressingly so, when I consider my investment in camera equipment.

Well, I guess I should reconsider this particular set-up...thanks for the insight. Ideally, I would like to keep my purchase under $1,000. Perhaps, I should just upgrade my camera selection (RAW, manual white balance, etc.), purchase the housing and look at all the bells and whistles a liitle down the road. That being said, any recommendations on Camera/housing within my price range? I noticed several quality pictures using Oly 7070 without strobe on DigiDeep but I understand this model has been discontinued. Also looked at the Canon A620 but have been told the housing has yet to be made available. Trip to Curacao is only a couple months away...thanks, again!

I believe there is a housing available already for the 610 and 620 by Canon? I may be wrong, it's happened before :wink:

Although a strobe is fantastic, you can do some great stuff with just the onboard flash, too. It's just a matter of getting to know your camera - and this applies to any system, strobe or not. Check out calypsonick's stuff from pre-May this year...all done with internal flash only. You migh consider just getting the camera and housing first then buying a "better" strobe at a later date if you really get into it. A strobe not only adds cost, but increases the learning time and is more to lug around. A "better" strobe will last a lot longer - even through camera changes so for me, it's worth it.

I think legopacific shoots without a strobe, too.

I like the Canon A series cameras a lot. No RAW, but from the variety of shooters I see come through these little camera produce great results. We've used several shots from the 3.2 versions for advertising in A4 brochures and even had images blown up to 22"! The S series is also looking pretty nice and I believe at least some of those do have RAW capabilities. I like both of these because they are also small and likley to get used a lot more than some monster that needs lugging around! I am really happy with my Oly 5050, but I NEVER haul it around on land :wink:

Not sure that helps...this is such a tough question! I still believe you can't go too far wrong with any of the major players: Canon, Oly, Fuji (I think NWgratefuldiver shoots a F10 that has no manual controls at all, but still does nice shots - it's all about learning to use a particular camera...it's the artist not the tool!), Nikon. I personally don't like the Sony offerings as much, but some who have them love them.

Thank you, again...well, I went with the Canon A620 and purchased the WP-DC90 housing on Ebay with HobbyMonster.

I'm glad I bought this 2 months before we acutally leave for Curacao...it may take that long before I figure out how to operate this darn thing :wacko:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom