Thoughts on the Zeagle Ranger and others...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have over 600 hours on my Ranger and love it. It was just too bulky for easy travel so I picked up a Zeagle Express Tech. With just over 2 hrs on the ET, the ET is going to be my bc for all my dives.

If you want a well used and maintained Ranger, drop me a line. Call it $165 plus shipping.

You could also check out the Zeagle Brigade. It's a Scuba Toys exclusive. Same harness and stuff as the Ranger but with a smaller wing so easier to transport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are planning on teaching and working for a a shop they may want you to use the gear they sell.The Ranger is a good rugged BC but it is huge and weighs a ton, not really practical for air travel unless you are willing to pay excess baggage fees. I have one and use it in the pool when I DM. With 44# of lift it has a lot more lift than you need for warm or even cool water.As others have said if you are planning on wreck/cave diving a BP/W is more suitable and can be used for teaching with some shops.Another road to look down is going Sidemount if you are looking at wreck/cave/TEC diving. If is becoming more popular for recreational diving also.

Thank you, C P. That was an awesome response to my question(s). The BP/W does look like it would be uncomfortable. I think I'll play around with the dive shop gear and continue to gain perspective and experience before I make this decision. I'll tell ya what though: tried on the Zeagle Ranger and it felt amazing... it was even too big for me, but still felt legit.

Again, thank you for the response.

Regards,

Andrew

You're right. A BP/W "looks uncomfortable."

But, it's not. In the water, it feels like it disappears. There is very little bulk on your chest. The tank is rigidly secured to the plate, so there is no flopping from side to side and there is no need for the straps to be right to secure the tank.

Don't be fooled by what looks comfortable or what something feels like in the LDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

I am not sure I can agree with Decompression on "Ranger being a solid BCD and good choice on cold water dives". It maybe solid in the sense of toughness, but in no way I think it is a good cold water BCD.

I grew up in Massachusetts, dove in some of the coldest waters in the Northeast, most of the time with a Zeagle Ranger. Trust me, as someone who has hundreds of dives in cold, cold Massachusetts water, the Ranger is absolutely a great cold water BCD. It just plain works. And it is a great BCD.

As I said, the Zeagle is a very good BCD, but here are a few draw backs, if you are teaching in the pool a $500 BCD is gonna look really brown after a short time vs $20 of webbing and an easily changed wing.The 44# of lift is what I use for my double 120's.....when you're in the pool you are going to have a much harder time doing demos, unless you are on your knees and if that's the case I'm going to go shoot myself[emoji23].
Also, you'll probably add some weight to the BCD to keep it a bit neg while doing scuba unit remove/replace. Much easier with a 6# backplate that firmly holds everything together.

I know that you've probably done your IDC in a reg BCD, so it's hard to get out of the comfort zone. It'll take some getting used to, and that's hard after learning in a BCD. There is a lot of support on the web and even here on SB as there are many of us that teach in BP/W and have a lot of tricks of the trade.
In the end, most would agree the BPW is far better In the long run and especially for $ in the short term.
Really, what matters most is you train, thinking, caring and capable divers.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm starting back up with my certifications and want to become a MSDT and tech/cave diver; I will also be performing basic small boat husbandry. I want a piece of equipment that will perform for the next decade or two, with no major issues. . . . So far I've found the Zeagle Ranger!! Versatile and tough . . . Any thoughts on the best BCD for my needs?
I will echo some of the points made by fisheater and decompression. I would not suggest the Ranger for someone interested in pursuing technical or cave diving. That doesn't mean it cannot be made to work - it can, if that is what you already have and are not in a position to acquire better-suited gear. But, it is not the BCD I would purchase to start with. Likewise for teaching, it can be made to work, but it is not the BCD I would purchase to start with.

I bought my Ranger 15 years ago, it was my first BCD. I seldom use it anymore, and it sits in my closet now. Yes, the Ranger is rugged / durable. Historically, Zeagle has also provided excellent customer service (they repaired torn weight pockets on my 11 y.o. Ranger at no charge, as long as I was able to show them my original purchase receipt). How things will go with Huish remains to be seen (not an implied criticism, I just don't have enough experience with the company recently to make an assessment). But, here are some concerns I have - as a long-time Ranger owner, an instructor, a technical diver, and technical instructor:

1. As a BCD for single cylinder diving, the Ranger is generally overkill (44 lbs of lift with the standard bladder). Not only that, you 'use up' some of the lift to accommodate the extra weight most of us need to off-set the inherent positive buoyancy of the unit. I do not like carrying extra weight simply to accommodate my 'floaty' BCD. (If you are exceedingly lean, and even with a Ranger and wetsuit you need no added weight, then you are in a different situation and my comment, above, may not be relevant to your situation.) Yes, you can swap out the standard bladder for a smaller unit (24 lb, 34 lb), but they are only available from Zeagle as horseshoes, not donuts, and swapping isn't all that easy.

2. As a BCD for double cylinders it can be made to work, if you are using DBL AL80s, for example. If you are diving DBL HP130s, with a couple of deco bottles, you may want a bit more lift - at least I do, and 50 lbs is my minimum for that. Yes, you can swap out the bladder for a larger (lift) unit, but the configuration is still not optimal for the kinds of gear (can light, etc) that a technical diver is likely to want to carry.

3. Swapping wings is much easier, and more time-efficient, with a BP than with a Ranger.

4. I wouldn't put a new Ranger in the pool, unless I really like faded color panels :)) ).

I personally have found that, for teaching in Confined Water (the pool), using a very inexpensive BCD (in my case, a simple Aqua Lung Wave without integrated pockets) to be preferable. I take my (metal) BP/W in periodically, to show students what they might want to consider when they decide to purchase personal equipment, because of the better weight distribution it offers compared to a jacket or fabric back-inflate. I have not yet found an inexpensive wing that I want to use in the pool on a regular basis, perhaps other instructors have. I do use my BP/W in OW teaching, particularly for AOW and specialty courses.

I do not allow students who wish to pursue technical training with me to use a Ranger with double cylinders. If that is their choice, that's fine, I simply encourage them to seek out another instructor (and I tell them why). I am not in the business of selling gear, so my aversion does not arise from a desire to outfit them in shiny new (and profitable for me or a shop) gear. In fact, I often loan gear - BP/W, cylinders, etc - to students at the beginning so they can focus on their training, not exhaust their wallets with new gear. But, I do not believe a Ranger is the best configuration for someone who is serious about pursuing technical diving.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the great feedback! I still have awhile until I make the decision, but so far I am leaning towards the Ranger for a good jack-of-all BCD's. I can always utilize a BP/W when necessary, or more likely a side mounted rig; honestly though, it will be some time before I can do any serious tech diving. Again, I thank everyone here on this thread for their valued input.

Regards,

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom