Thoughts on the Zeagle Ranger and others...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aspires88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Good morning,

New member here, and so far love the forums. I searched for some recommendations on 'Best BCD' for the dive professional, and found some legitimate information. However, I would like a more current take on my future choice of equipment.

--I currently use an old Aeris BCD, very worn out with seems ripping--

I'm starting back up with my certifications and want to become a MSDT and tech/cave diver; I will also be performing basic small boat husbandry. I want a piece of equipment that will perform for the next decade or two, with no major issues.

So far I've found the Zeagle Ranger!! Versatile and tough... Price is not too much an issue, so no worries there. I just want to ensure I'm not overlooking any phenomenal BCD's.

Any thoughts on the best BCD for my needs?

Mahalo,

Andrew

You are overlooking many "phenomenal BCDs."

Especially if you want to later do tech and/or cave dives, you will want to look at getting a backplate and wing style BCD ("BP/W"). Zeagle Ragers are good, but not suited for such diving. However, BP/Ws are well suited for recreational diving and, in my opinion, are superior to the Ranger. (My Zeagle is sitting in my garage when my BP/Ws are off diving with me.)

There are LOTS of threads on this, so do a quick search.

Thanks, Fisheater. I'll do some more digging.

The zeagle ranger is a very solid BCD and a good choice for cold open water dives. If I may, if you are teaching often, both pool and open water then I'd suggest one of two options.
1. A dedicated pool BCD, cheap and with a small wing (around 20# lift max). And then a open water BCD.

Or,
2. Backplate and wing. You can easily swap wings and replacing your chlorine browned webbing is cheap and easy. That unit will adapt to any future diving/teaching you may do. I hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm starting back up with my certifications and want to become a MSDT and tech/cave diver; I will also be performing basic small boat husbandry. I want a piece of equipment that will perform for the next decade or two, with no major issues.

So far I've found the Zeagle Ranger!! Versatile and tough... Price is not too much an issue, so no worries there. I just want to ensure I'm not overlooking any phenomenal BCD's.

Mahalo,

Andrew

For the bolded reason, I think you should look into backplate setup. Not that you can't do double, tech, cave with zeagle ranger, but you really don't people use it for this level of diving. I think it is for a good reason.

I am not sure I can agree with Decompression on "Ranger being a solid BCD and good choice on cold water dives". It maybe solid in the sense of toughness, but in no way I think it is a good cold water BCD.

Thanks! What would be a solid BP/W BC? Any manufacturer recommendations?

Start with Tobin at DSS. Maybe call him - he's in Pasadena so with the time difference there should be some overlap.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-sea-supply/
https://www.deepseasupply.com/

I have a Ranger but in this case I agree - it's not the best choice for tech/cave diving. Also the doubles set-up is a little kludgy unless you add a Zeagle backplate so why not just buy a BP/W initially instead.

If you decide to stay conventional back-inflate, a Scubapro Knighthawk is pretty much direct competition for the Ranger. I almost bought one but the Ranger fit me better.

If you do wind up teaching for a shop they may want you in "their" gear anyway so students can see teacher in something they can buy in the store. Often there's a keyman discount involved if you're on the staff.

I'm not in the majority here but the Zeagle is a great BC that WILL last you for years, pool and OW. Its not hard to set up and use for doubles and will be fine with them. Use stab plates. While the Ranger style not my first choice for cave it does work, I learned in and earned my Cave Cert in a Tech ( A Zeagle a lot like the Ranger) and used it the first year. May be a little too cluttered (pockets) for some but can work, especially when someone is limited to only one unit. Also it is superb for cold open water. Good lift, holds adequate amount of weight for dry suit diving and sturdy enough to hold up for years. I'm lucky in that my wife lets me have about any gear I want and I use a different model Zeagles for pool/ open water and cave now and wouldn't trade them for just about any other BC. My double BC is the Zeagle Teckpack which they no longer make and is a lot like the Transpak just fits me better. My wife sold my Tech to one of my DMs who fell in love with it when he borrowed it to try. Also I'm not a fan of the SS BP/W set up, I have had two hard BPs and really do not think they are as comfortable and a lot of the selling points people make for them are IMO answers looking for questions. I tell my students to decide what kind of diving they see themselves in in the future, go try different types and brands of gear and see what works best for you and your needs.

I feel the Ranger is an excellent choice for your needs.

I agree with others if you want to do tech you should probably just go BP/W... but if you want a recreational (or an in-between) BC the Ranger is pretty nice.

However, I chose a Hollis HD200 over the Ranger. I tried both on and just felt more comfortable in the Hollis.

Back
Top Bottom