Thoughts from 3,300 fsw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last night my husband and I went to Texas State University to listen to Dr. Sylvia Earle. As I sit at my desk this morning with my coffee and files, I can’t help but ruminate. What an inspiring person! Explorer, researcher, discoverer, developer…This woman holds a solo dive depth record, has lived underwater, worked for NOAA and National Geographic, is discovering new plant and animal life of the oceans, and has founded organizations which are designing ways to explore the depths of the ocean, creating better submersibles, and promoting sustainable marine practices. She met the President and during their dinner conversation she convinced him of the need for the largest marine sanctuary in the world in Northwestern Hawaii. And now that sanctuary exists for us and will exist for our great-great grandchildren to dive and see unmolested reefs! Now THAT’S an accomplishment!
While she talked, I kept wondering, “What was this woman thinking during her solo dive at over 3,000 feet? What would I think?”
I worry that I would be thinking, “I hope I don’t trip and hit my head. That would be a stupid way to go.”
And this morning I am thinking… Crap, most days I can barely drag myself to work. I’m proud if I got the laundry done and put it away before running out of underwear. You know, like everyone else, “I owe, I owe, so it’s off to work I go…”
But still…
I have a dream of accomplishment. I would be satisfied with my life if I could accomplish only a fraction of the great things this woman has done for our Blue Planet. I also want to help make the world a better place for us and for our ancestors.

Here’s to all the dreamers in the ocean. :beer:

I have a dream of accomplishment. I would be satisfied with my life if I could accomplish only a fraction of the great things this woman has done for our Blue Planet. I also want to help make the world a better place for us and for our ancestors.

Here’s to all the dreamers in the ocean. :beer:

You became a scuba diver. In my book, that's a pretty terrific start! :D

My son and I also heard her presentation last night. It is amazing that with the changes going on with our climate she has witnessed so much in her career. We look forward to seeing her again.

Yesterday at Aquarena Center, it was a terrific honor to be able to stand "shoulder to shoulder" with this great lady and have her talk with us before dedicating the new underwater webcam there. As we science divers stood with her on the landing near Deep Hole, she even took the time to answer some of our questions, autograph our books and even our dive logs! I was elated when she allowed me to ask a question and video the answer. My question was what her message to children and young students would be. Her reply was gracious, warm and inspiring, and I'm using it even today in my classes.
Indeed, it would be a huge accomplishment to achieve even a fraction of Dr. Earle's work. I'm afraid the best I can do is to take what she has done and somehow try to convey it to the kids with whom I come into contact. Hopefully, there will be some great explorers and scientists among them, too. In any event, I hope they are inspired by Dr. Earle to impact their world in a positive way.

Back
Top Bottom