This Really good picture i took last weekend!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBrett22

Lionfish Slayer
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is a really good picture i took last weekend of a slug.

This was my first picture i took with my Intova 8.0MP camera and my new Flash.

Attachments

• PICT4439.jpg
    PICT4439.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 410
Not bad! A little dark (it could be just my monitor) but nice and clear!

Not bad! A little dark (it could be just my monitor) but nice and clear!

Ya it was inside a wreck so it was really dark but that is my first picture with a strobe!!

Nice composition, it is quite underexposed though

Ya i am still learning how to position the flash just right and use the right power levels to make a good picture as you can see below.

First picture with Flash second picture without flash.

Attachments

• PICT4458.jpg
    PICT4458.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 139
  • PICT4459.jpg
    PICT4459.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 131
Nice shots. I like the Navanax slug.

For wide angle shots, that distance away, keep the flash off- but you knew that, since you did it for shot 2. The strobe isnt powerful enough to get the range and all it'll do is light up the particles in the water, producing backscatter (shot 1). Maybe come up one stop or so in exposure time and set your white balance using the custom function if you can. You have plenty of white sand right there- point your camera at that and set the white balance (technically, you should white balance off an 18% grey card, but hard to find underwater- something neutral works, and at a pinch, white sand also. I actually white balance off my buddies steel tank).

If you do those 2 real simple things, you'll have a picture id hang on my wall. I love wide angle ambient wreck photos.

What camera do you have? and does it have custom white balance?

Nice shots. I like the Navanax slug.

For wide angle shots, that distance away, keep the flash off- but you knew that, since you did it for shot 2. The strobe isnt powerful enough to get the range and all it'll do is light up the particles in the water, producing backscatter (shot 1). Maybe come up one stop or so in exposure time and set your white balance using the custom function if you can. You have plenty of white sand right there- point your camera at that and set the white balance (technically, you should white balance off an 18% grey card, but hard to find underwater- something neutral works, and at a pinch, white sand also. I actually white balance off my buddies steel tank).

If you do those 2 real simple things, you'll have a picture id hang on my wall. I love wide angle ambient wreck photos.

Thank You and the Camera i have is the INTOVA iC 800 the 8.0mp and it says for the white balance is set to auto and i can't change it because i have it set to "Anti-Shake" mode to help me out in the currents.

In my OP the flash is more for up close with coral and animals such as the "Navanaz Snail" to help capture the color and the cool little creature.

I am looking into the Wide angle lens from INTOVA but i need to get to work and save money cause i think its $120.00 i think under water it allows 75 degrees of view and above water 85 degrees of view.

Thank You and the Camera i have is the INTOVA iC 800 the 8.0mp and it says for the white balance is set to auto and i can't change it because i have it set to "Anti-Shake" mode to help me out in the currents.

... if you want, try it without the Anti-shake mode. Trust me. I have a camera with image stabilisation, and it really makes no difference. If your using your strobe, youll use a high shutter speed- so you wont need the anti-shake. If you do ambient light- you can get down to 1/15 or so without needing the anti-shake. If you can increase the ISO of the camera, that'll help keep the shutter speed more manageable. White balance control is far more important than image stabilisation

In my OP the flash is more for up close with coral and animals such as the "Navanaz Snail" to help capture the color and the cool little creature.

Perfect- thats exactly what the strobe is for. Just remember to re-set your WB to the strobe colour, or everytrhing will be super-blue. To do this, turn the flash on, and do a custom white balance off your neutral subject. The WB will then be set to the colour of the light coming out of the strobe!

I am looking into the Wide angle lens from INTOVA but i need to get to work and save money cause i think its $120.00 i think under water it allows 75 degrees of view and above water 85 degrees of view.

Very good idea- we need all the wide angle coverage we can get. You will NOT regret purchasing a wide angle lens

i just checked out your cameras manual- for typical shots, id stay with ISO 100 or 64. For those ambient wide angle shots dont be worried about going up to 400. Shots will be 'grainy' but that adds to the mood of those particular shots. Looks like a nice little camera- and its has all the important features. Once you master it- itll give you some really great pictures.

hint- do what i do whenever the girlfriend is out of town- assemble your equipment, find a couple small-ish items from around the house and just practice right there in your living room. mess around with the settings a whole lot above water and youll get fluid with the particular settings you need underwater. I have this little 3 inch long plastic lobster i have about 1000 pictures of on my computer.

Last edited:

... if you want, try it without the Anti-shake mode. Trust me. I have a camera with image stabilisation, and it really makes no difference. If your using your strobe, youll use a high shutter speed- so you wont need the anti-shake. If you do ambient light- you can get down to 1/15 or so without needing the anti-shake. If you can increase the ISO of the camera, that'll help keep the shutter speed more manageable. White balance control is far more important than image stabilisation

Perfect- thats exactly what the strobe is for. Just remember to re-set your WB to the strobe colour, or everytrhing will be super-blue. To do this, turn the flash on, and do a custom white balance off your neutral subject. The WB will then be set to the colour of the light coming out of the strobe!

Very good idea- we need all the wide angle coverage we can get. You will NOT regret purchasing a wide angle lens

i just checked out your cameras manual- for typical shots, id stay with ISO 100 or 64. For those ambient wide angle shots dont be worried about going up to 400. Shots will be 'grainy' but that adds to the mood of those particular shots. Looks like a nice little camera- and its has all the important features. Once you master it- itll give you some really great pictures.

hint- do what i do whenever the girlfriend is out of town- assemble your equipment, find a couple small-ish items from around the house and just practice right there in your living room. mess around with the settings a whole lot above water and youll get fluid with the particular settings you need underwater. I have this little 3 inch long plastic lobster i have about 1000 pictures of on my computer.

Thank you for all the advice!! And i practice when ever i have no HW don't have a girlfriend so there is no need to worry!! I do most practice shot of coral without the strobe in my 29g Biocube or my 110g Saltwater Reef tank to help me get really good pictures!!

I am going to reread the manual tonight and figure out all the cool things i need to know to make my pictures better!!

Lightened slightly. :cool2:

Attachments

• sb.jpg
    sb.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 148

Back
Top Bottom