This photo stuff is HARD!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasean

Contributor
Reaction score
50 minutes spent taking some photos, just to get familiar with the new UW housing my wife bought me...C3040 with a PT-010 housing, no strobe...

I realize I rushed through the dive, and didn't plan the shots very well, have to work on staying REALLY still during the shot, etc., but I only got TWO shots that I even like...LOL

And, the shots need lots of help....I realize how much a strobe would help, since I don't have one, and the flash doesn't go far...Amazing how the colors come out when the subject is properly illuminated.

My only two shots even close to being worth keeping are attached. This guy let me get up close and personal for four or five shots before leaving....heh

Sean

Scubasean,

Is that a cabezon or other type of rockfish from Monterey Bay? I remember seeing a bunch of them when I dove there. Although I don't miss the cold water and weather in the Bay Area, I do miss all the restaurants and activities. Thanks for sharing a piece of home for me.

You're on a pretty good start for the photos. You're right that staying still is important for taking u/w shots. Nail your bouyancy and finning techniques and the shots come easier after that.

Ths shots you posted were well focused and composed (nice job), but a bit on the dark side. A couple things you might consider is adjusting the brightness levels on the 3040 LCD and/or your computer monitor. If they're set too bright, the actual product will be too dark. Another thing that should help is increasing the flash intensity to +2.0 (or use the arrow buttons to overexpose by a few steps. When you can move up to an external strobe, you can decrease your internal flash to its lowest level (you won't need it for illuminating the shot, just to fire off the fiber optic cable to the strobe -- might as well save the camera batteries). Good luck and post more shots when you have a chance!

marpacifica:
Scubasean,

Is that a cabezon or other type of rockfish from Monterey Bay? I remember seeing a bunch of them when I dove there. Although I don't miss the cold water and weather in the Bay Area, I do miss all the restaurants and activities. Thanks for sharing a piece of home for me.

You're on a pretty good start for the photos. You're right that staying still is important for taking u/w shots. Nail your bouyancy and finning techniques and the shots come easier after that.

Ths shots you posted were well focused and composed (nice job), but a bit on the dark side. A couple things you might consider is adjusting the brightness levels on the 3040 LCD and/or your computer monitor. If they're set too bright, the actual product will be too dark. Another thing that should help is increasing the flash intensity to +2.0 (or use the arrow buttons to overexpose by a few steps. When you can move up to an external strobe, you can decrease your internal flash to its lowest level (you won't need it for illuminating the shot, just to fire off the fiber optic cable to the strobe -- might as well save the camera batteries). Good luck and post more shots when you have a chance!

Thanks for the thoughts... :)

I hadn't even considered the flash intensity setting...heh...I'll set it higher next time. I had most of the camera settings on auto this time, but want to play around a bit with manual settings next time I go out.

As for the type of fish, I believe it is a rockfish of some sort, but am not good at identifying the type (yet)...I went to the Breakwater, in Monterey Bay, since my dive buddy couldn't make it, and I was diving solo...Didn't want to go solo anywhere I wasn't completely comfortable with....

I think it will be awhile before I can afford the strobe.

I have alot to learn....(!!)

Sean,

Yep, sure looks like a cabezon. Here's a description from Cal Fish and Game website: "The body of the cabezon is elongate and stout. The head is large, broad and the snout is bluntly rounded. The mouth is large. The color is usually dark brown, but a variety of colors ranging from blue green to reddish brown occur and there is much mottling. It looks somewhat like the lingcod, and sometimes has blue colored flesh. It is a member of the true sculpin family and it can best be distinguished from the similar looking lingcod by: the absence of scales on its body; and by the presence of a small flap of skin, a cirrus, over each eye and in the middle of the snout. The lining of its mouth is a pale to dark blue and it also lacks the large teeth of the lingcod."

I think the cirrus/skin flaps over the eyes is the key to identifying this fish. Benzonar's Photoshop adjustment made ID'ing easier.

Benzonar:
sean

If you have Photoshop there is a neat little action file on Gilligans website to enhance non-strobe pictures underwater.

I have applied it to your pics to show you the difference, and the cool part is it only takes about 2 seconds to do.

Link to Gilligans page: http://pt010.da-kine.info/adjustments.htm

Nice!

Many thanks :)

marpacifica:
Sean,

Yep, sure looks like a cabezon. Here's a description from Cal Fish and Game website: "The body of the cabezon is elongate and stout. The head is large, broad and the snout is bluntly rounded. The mouth is large. The color is usually dark brown, but a variety of colors ranging from blue green to reddish brown occur and there is much mottling. It looks somewhat like the lingcod, and sometimes has blue colored flesh. It is a member of the true sculpin family and it can best be distinguished from the similar looking lingcod by: the absence of scales on its body; and by the presence of a small flap of skin, a cirrus, over each eye and in the middle of the snout. The lining of its mouth is a pale to dark blue and it also lacks the large teeth of the lingcod."

I think the cirrus/skin flaps over the eyes is the key to identifying this fish. Benzonar's Photoshop adjustment made ID'ing easier.

I'll have to make a note of all this in my dive log.

Thanks!

Hello,

If photography was easy we would have more people doing it. Why do you think everyone is flocking to the hyped 'technical' stuff?

Ed

blacknet:
Why do you think everyone is flocking to the hyped 'technical' stuff?
Ed

Hmmm........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom