This oughta be fun...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not that it's particularly important, but I just got an interesting invitation to go diving. A reporter with a local TV station asked me to shoot underwater video footage to go along with a report he's preparing. The item is about the activities of the local police dive team. I'll be shooting underwater video of the reporter and the team as they train in SAR, rescue techniques, and evidence collection. Hopefully, it'll be a LOT of fun! I'll most likely give a report here later.

Sounds to me like they may be after Timeliner again. I wonder what he's been up to THIS time. :shakehead:

Hey congrats on your request to help out the shoot!

Hope the chosen lake has some ok vis for the video......and can you slip in the DIMWIT logo just for a quick shot!! :D

Have fun.....look forward to your report.

Not that it's particularly important, but I just got an interesting invitation to go diving. A reporter with a local TV station asked me to shoot underwater video footage to go along with a report he's preparing. The item is about the activities of the local police dive team. I'll be shooting underwater video of the reporter and the team as they train in SAR, rescue techniques, and evidence collection. Hopefully, it'll be a LOT of fun! I'll most likely give a report here later.

Remember color correction if its a pond that is green or brown. Don't forget your lights.
Those guys like to go deep.

Which station? I hope its KDFW our sister station in Dallas.

You will have fun and do a great job for them, like when we did our production together.

Shawn O'Shea

Guba,

Any idea when this will go down?

Hey, Frog
Yup, we'll be at Lake Elmer Thomas on Wednesday morning. I know this is a loooong shot, but any chance you'll be in the area?

Shawn, it's KFDX in Wichita Falls, and they do have a Fox affiliate. And thanks for the compliment. I got the finished video (great job!), and it's a terrific reminder of a truly special event. I did, indeed, have a blast!

Hey Guba,

Unfortunately no. I will be in Aizu-Wakamatsu (?sp) Japan. I leave Sunday and won't be back until around the 23rd of June. Have fun and good luck!

We're back and the shoot was, indeed, a lot of fun. We all met near Lake Elmer Thomas on the Wichita Mts. Wildlife Refuge on Wednesday morning, had a briefing, and then moved to the lake to gear up. There were seven police divers and two reporters (who were NOT divers but had had some "training" with the police team a week earlier, sort of like the "resort courses" offered at tropical destinations).
The plan was simply to get shots of the reporters gearing up, entering the water, and...well...feeding the fish at about ten feet, flanked by two very attentive officers. Vis was understandably pretty bad--the newbies (and even the police divers) kicked up the area unmercifully. However, I was able to get good shots of the reporters and PD divers descending and we even were able to get them with some good sized bass scarfing up hot dogs. I was also able to follow the police divers as they conducted "searches" for the mannequin, which they found and brought to the surface a couple of times.
As we were shooting, I kept thinking, "It'll be a miracle if this produces anything useable," but after the dives, I went with the reporters back to their station to transfer the images off my camera and--lo, and behold!--we had done it! The reporters were thrilled with what we captured, and I was greatly relieved. Sure, some of the deep video was a bit dark and red, but they loved it because one of the main points of the report was the terrible conditions in which these guys work as they do their business underwater. The news director was so impressed, in fact, that they are going to make it a longer feature segment that will air in early July instead of simply a daily report. I can't wait to see the finished product.
All in all, a very interesting and satisfying morning underwater and a good way to use a home-made video housing.

Thanks Guba, that sounds like it will be a very good report. Keep us informed about the time it will be shown around the DFW area if you are aware of it. I would love to see it as I assume other will also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom