This must be the year of the doubles.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What is it with the double fatals this year? Seattle just had one in Lake Washington.

Gary D.

Statistics show that 70% of all drowning victims are would be rescuers... that would account for the 'double' drowning statistics too. Reach, Throw and Go are the acronymns for handling a rescue scenario... the problem is that 'Go' does NOT mean go in... it means Go Get Help !!!
People who are in the position of floundering before drowning only see their rescuers as objects to help them get out of the water... a platform if you will.

Rescue Divers are taught this and either approach from below and behind or spin the victim to gain control from behind as are PS Divers (I hope). I am associated with a Dive Rescue organization and we do practice Risk/Benefit to the tee. If one of my divers will be at risk to perform a possible rescue of a drowning victim... I will not permit the effort. Stupid is what stupid does and no corpse is worth killing another to revive.

Just my opinion.

Fotoz4FX:
Statistics show that 70% of all drowning victims are would be rescuers... that would account for the 'double' drowning statistics too. Reach, Throw and Go are the acronymns for handling a rescue scenario... the problem is that 'Go' does NOT mean go in... it means Go Get Help !!!
People who are in the position of floundering before drowning only see their rescuers as objects to help them get out of the water... a platform if you will.

Rescue Divers are taught this and either approach from below and behind or spin the victim to gain control from behind as are PS Divers (I hope). I am associated with a Dive Rescue organization and we do practice Risk/Benefit to the tee. If one of my divers will be at risk to perform a possible rescue of a drowning victim... I will not permit the effort. Stupid is what stupid does and no corpse is worth killing another to revive.

Just my opinion.
No group realizes what you posted more than this group. But this year seems to have a very high rate of double drownings that do not involve a rescuer. Is it due to the higher temps, I don't have a clue. All I know is people are dropping in the water like flies at a Raid convention..

Gary D.

Gary D.:
No group realizes what you posted more than this group. But this year seems to have a very high rate of double drownings that do not involve a rescuer. Is it due to the higher temps, I don't have a clue. All I know is people are dropping in the water like flies at a Raid convention..

maybe you've got more people who aren't actually comfortable in the water or who haven't been around it in awhile who decide to this year because of the heat...

the incident on lake washington definitely sounds like someone got the idea to jump in and cool off and overestimated their swimming ability...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom