This little black box needs to melt down.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I’m in the bike shop doing some bike stuff when I hear the dreaded BEEP a bunch of times. I grab it, knowing this isn’t going to be and invite for a beer and it reads: “CORBIN PARK MALE UNDERWATER 10 MINUTES LAURIE 0721 @ 1305”. Good dispatcher short and sweet.

I secure what I was doing, run into the house, wash the grease off, kiss my sweetie and get underway at 1310.

4.4 miles and 6 minutes later I’m on scene. We have a good description and last seen point but the missing person is most likely going to be on the other side of the river. So now we have to wait for transportation. A jet boat and two PWC’s are enroute so I have to sit and bide my time.

The PWC’s finally get there and I take two other divers with me. Only one has dove this section before and he goes with me. The other is new but has enough on the ball to keep out of trouble.

The rest of the team is working the side we just came from.

So the Fireman :D and I head for the bottom. The current is around 2-3 knots in the eddy so we just relax and go for the ride. All of a sudden there he is, in a face down fetal position up stream about 20’ from me right on the edge of our Vis. That was one heck of a kick to get to him. Yes folks I saw him prior to us getting aquatinted.

Now this is going to upset some on the other categories because I’m logging a dive at 13’ for 3 minutes. Temp was 72df.

Sad to say he just had way too much against him and he didn’t make it.

Here is a sat pic of the area.
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=11&X=2504&Y=26416&W=1

Near the top right are two rocky points. This 24 year old male tried to walk across the rapids and didn't make it. I found him just a few feet down stream on the east side of the river.

We are all betting on three more befor the weekend is over. We are going to be three digit record setting temps.

Gary D.

Wow, what a story. Good for you. It is so important to have recovered him for his family and loved ones.

Someone I care about drowned a few years back in a canal - not diving, just being stupid. So, I know firsthand how very important it is to the family.

Thanks,

Patti

I forgot to mention that he had a warrant for his arrest out on him.

Gary D.

Saw your team on the news. Who has the yellow mask?

Rick Inman:
Saw your team on the news. Who has the yellow mask?
Our Fireman, I'm in the blue suit with the FF.

Gary D.

PWCPD Diver:
Did you serve it?? Otherwise they might issue a capias!
The first Patrol Deputy on scene did an excellent job of securing the area, getting the last seen point and getting some interviews done. That took a lot of PSI off of us.

When we got on scene my #2 took over running and coordinating the surface operating which meant playing go-for for a big part. Even with my #2 there that Patrol Deputy kept going which was a surprise.

When it was all over the Deputy wanted to (as a joke) take a warrant arrest stat. I said no way; he just found the general area. I had to go find and catch him then bring him in so I get the stat.

It’s that morbid PSD mindset.

We are betting on a couple more in this next week. Our forecast is for over 100df all week. That is going to move a lot of people to the water that shouldn’t be there.

This one make our water related deaths .875 per month over the past 8 months.

It was just in the paper that Idaho is #4 in the nation per capita for child drownings. That is not something we are proud of.

Gary D.

I almost forgot. River flow was at 1500cfs which is nice and slow.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom