This Line Stopper Is So Amazing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is exactly what I was trying to do at JB, but "someone's" favorite perfect tie-off point is bigger than I can spread my hand while rolling off the loop.

Last April, near record flow. Tail between legs...

I shall return.

Maybe you just need to use find a smaller tie-off spot. Did you try putting your back to the flow and using it as a shield to setup the tie-off?

No. Doesn't work that way. Do as instructed.

No shielding that flow, both of us got blown into the weeds (some farther than others) until we "got it".

So - can I assume you are still in the process of completing cave training? In that case yea you just have to make due. That sounds like quite the ride. I suppose in that situation you would just keep trying until you did it right lol...

Yes, pretty much that.

I presently have a valid full cave card from a well-known agency.

I'm now redoing the entire experience with one who demands absolute compliance to his standards. No problem with that either, that is why I signed on. It is all about the ride...

Reactions: Jax
The higher the flow, the more I like weight on the line. I use half ounce or ounce lead egg sinkers for a number of my reels. I think I pay less than a dollar a piece for them at any fishing store:

71FewZaqRiL._SL1500_.jpg

Pete, I know you've got some flow in cave country, is it quite significant?

Yes, pretty much that.

I presently have a valid full cave card from a well-known agency.

I'm now redoing the entire experience with one who demands absolute compliance to his standards. No problem with that either, that is why I signed on. It is all about the ride...

Oh ok makes sense! Nothing wrong with that! Good Luck!

Pete, I know you've got some flow in cave country, is it quite significant?
It depends on the cave. It depends on the wreck. I like having weight on the line as it makes things far easier for me.

Just so I'm clear, I think that the doodad from Highlands is fine. My solution is easier to obtain and far, far cheaper.

but "someone's" favorite perfect tie-off point is bigger than I can spread my hand while rolling off the loop.
The solution is easy. Wrap the line around the tie off point at least three times, and then pass the reel through the loop. Pull in the opposite direction of the loop. Bingo: you're done.

Upstream cow cave has high flow - it's pretty crazy.
Yes it can be rather crazy but the primary tie off is usually done on the tree in the basin and not inside the cave where the flow is high.

Most of us use no weights. We just use something that prevents the line from going thru the line keeper.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom