This just may be one of those years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This afternoon I’m out in the shop with a couple of customers when the box starts straining it’s circuit board. I grab it and read: “OVERTURNED SAILBOAT, PERSON IN THE WATER, HIGGINS POINT AREA.”

A buddy of mine is at the shop and can run it so I excuse myself, run in to kiss the wife and get my keys. Don’t ever leave home without the kiss. :no:Then head 14 miles to the east.

One unit takes the freeway to the scene and I take the lake route arriving at the point 9 minutes into the call. Neither of us can see an overturned boat but the lake is very choppy with 30+ mph winds and strong gusts. I had just started to turn around at the dead end when a male comes up to me and asks, “Are you looking for me?” He’s wet so I ask if he was on a boat. He was who we were looking for.

After a brief interview I have the team cancel as he was our guy and the lone occupant of the vessel. Seems that this expert sailor purchased this 16’ sailboat two weeks ago and decided to go sailing in conditions that would be rough for the America’s Cup. He was a couple of hundred yards from shore when he flips the boat and is launched into the water. The PFD he had was sitting on the seat next to him and he couldn’t get to it after the incident so he starts swimming for shore. He has to be one tough cookie to hit the 40df water and swim 200 yards in those rough conditions.

The boat is still about 30’ from shore with the mast stuck into the bottom. They will attempt to retrieve it tomorrow when conditions improve.

He needs to go buy a lottery ticket as he is one of the luckiest men alive.

Did you nominate him for the Darwin Award? You know, like maybe an honorable mention, because he survived.

And I think you're wrong about the lottery ticket. He's used up a few years supply of luck. If I were him, I'd be afraid to get out of bed for a while.

Glad he's OK though, good work!

Sounds like if he was in a drysuit it would have been no big deal. Wearing the proper attire for conditions definitely comes into play. Of course he shouldn't have been out period for his maiden voyage. Stupid guy! 30kt winds are no joke for most people. Although here on the San Francisco Bay that is a strong wind day...nothing more, since 24kts is about the average day.

If conditions are rough on the ocean I do not go out without a drysuit and a VHF clipped off to my person.

I also remember reading something like 70% of all boat accident drownings would be preventable by wearing a life jacket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom