THIS is why you want to come dive in South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really must make it up there some time - great pics by the way !!

Haven't been diving much lately but looking forward to getting back in and doing some photography.

With your photographic equipment and skill Aliwal Shoal will absolutely dazzle!

Just a heads up, we're headed your way for the weekend of 22 Oct. Not sure if we'd have any time for diving but I'm certainly going to try for it.

Will be heading your way in December . So I will contact you fro more info and I will be reading everything I can find on this board. Really looking for contact info on some place to book a dive trip with. Will have about 3 days for diving the rest for family stuff.

Michael

hello there,
if i may add something more about diving in South Africa, especially in the tropical side of it (Sodwana Bay). Go on and watch this: Sodwana Bay Showreel 2011 on Vimeo as well as this Sodwana2011 - YouTube as well most recent other videos from the VIMEO profile of the first movie. I have been living here and diving pretty much every day for 4 months now. These are mine and my friends videos, we are underwater videographers that chose this place for our base (he is actually local). I dived Great Barrier Reef, Thailand and Indonesia and diving in Sodwana Bay is like few times better than all of those locations combined. Purely because every day is different and even if you dive the same dive site every day it is going to give you something different. We had such events as 12 whalesharks along the coast within few miles, massive schools of devil rays, baitballs, whalecarcases chummed by tiger sharks, in the winter there are humpbacks passing, and the macro life is just insane if you know where to look. Of course I am not saying that if you come here for a week then you will see all this, cause you might as well see little, i am just saying that there are things and events here to see underwater that you won't see anywhere else in one place. Apart from that there is more dive sites here than you can do in a month diving, and still lots to explore and map. There are flat reefs, small caves, huge bommies, walls, deep dives, super deep dives (in search of Coelacanths that live here), shallow amazing reefs, drift dives, sand dives, all you can ask for as an experiences diver. And if you want to take day off, you have got I think around 5 different game parks within a hour, hourandahalf drive from here and you can go and tick off your land BIG 5. O, you can always go to Ponta du Ouro in Mozambique, which is 1,5 hour drive and stunning diving there as well.

If you have any questions about this location feel free to ask me. I do have also good knowledge of dive operations here as I dived with most of them (i am a freelancing videographer) so i can direct to ones that more suit you, as there is not really massive difference in quality of dive service, its just all dive operations have their own spin to diving experience, so depends what you like. plus i know most of DMs and Instructors in "town" here as well.

Africa rules:)

Visibility? I'm not overly hung up on visibility as most of what I want to see is at arm's length anyway.

And you still have your arms with those sharks :scared: around :D

Nice shots and informative post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom