This is why we need to speak up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverInAk

Contributor
Reaction score
I just came across this post on rec.scuba and it reminded me of some of the posts here regarding dive center operations and instructors etc.. It is for reasons like this that we must speak up about any dive operation or instructor that is not 100% above board!

Yeah, I saw that a while back. It's a shame they got off so light. But when you have 30+ people on a boat and no system to keep up with who's where, it was bound to happen. Goes to show you that the signing of the wavier relieving them from liability for negligence, doesn't hold up. I wander if there will be a civil suit as well.

Getting off light is such an understatement. Not even a slap on the wrist compared to what those divers must have gone thru for 26 hours.

What moron on the boat could ignore extra dive bags? It's unconcionable. You wonder what you can do as a diver to prevent this. I saw one post that said he/she gave the captain half of a twenty dollar bill, and told them the other half would be theirs on return. Shouldn't have to come to that, but who knows.

Kelly's on the Bay? I was just on that boat in late January! It explains why they were extremely cautious about role call with only four people on board. We did it once at the dock, once at the site, and once again at the dock. This was accomplished with no B.S.'ing around.
I haven't done much ocean diving but it seems they went out in rougher water than I would have. One guy cracked his head open on the ladder in some large swells and it was very difficult getting back into the boat.
Other than going out in the crappy conditions they appear to have a decent accountability program, compared with the other operations in the Keys.
Just glad to be here,
Dave

I read an article in a newspaper that said that both the divers were lawyers. I don't know if that's accurate or not. When I'm diving in the Key Largo area, I use Conch Republic Divers at Tavernier Creek. They're friendly, efficient and know what they're doing.
I will not dive with a charter operation that left people in the water and then ignored the fact that not everyone was accounted for.
Bob

Back
Top Bottom