Thinking of joining local SAR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got word that my oldest grandson is working his way towards PSD. He’s going to college and is a Fireman. Sounds like his department has just started their water rescue/recovery training. My first instinct is to talk him out of the PSD part but whatever he decides I’ll support him. I just don't know if he has the mental toughness for it.

Gary D.

Gary:

I can't believe you didn't try to talk him out of being a Fire Fighter!

Dan

I’m glad he’s picking the fire serves over becoming a LEO. We just got back from the coast after visiting him this weekend and he told me he wants nothing to do subsurface but wants to work topside. I’m proud of the little poop. He finished #1 for his department and 710 out of 1296 in the Seattle Firefighter Stair Climb Competition. I would have died at the first floor but he made the run in 22.05.05. Here is a brief of it:
At 788 feet of vertical elevation, the Columbia Center (formerly Bank of America Tower) in downtown Seattle stands as the second tallest building west of the Mississippi. It takes 69 flights of stairs and 1,311 steps to reach the highly acclaimed observation deck overlooking the city.

Great. Thanks everyone. I will carry all of your words of wisdom with me always.
Not to make levity in a serious thread, but dude that was hilariously classic! :rofl3:

Not to make levity in a serious thread, but dude that was hilariously classic! :rofl3:

In all seriousness, I appreciate everyone's comments so far. I have decided to go along with joining my local SAR. So far none of the comments have scared me off. Some things you just need to find out for yourself. I consider myself mentally tough, and often enjoy the "somebody's got to do it" jobs nobody else wants to do. Plus, I would be serving my community which is always great motivation for me.

Application submitted. Had my official interview last night, and hopefully at the next meeting I will be approved as a probationary member.

Thanks for the update. It will be interesting to see how the course/training evolve. Keep us posted.

So, I'm officially a probee of SAR. I have my first drill this weekend. I hope I know what I am getting into.

Good luck! Have fun with it and just learn, learn, learn!

:wave:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom