Thinking of getting a Pelican Castaway Kayak - feedbacks appreciated!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yukoneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My parents are looking for a couple of kayaks - I'd like to convince them to buy 1 kayak that is suitable for scuba diving and some fishing (since my dad does dive too). The kayak will only see flat freshwater springs & lazy rivers.

I went to the local sporting goods store to check out the Scrambler XL - the kayak's not there, but there was another ocean going kayak and man... it's HUGE - real long...

I then saw another kayak and I thought it was excellent but I'd ask you guys here of your opinions. It's the Pelican Castaway, 11.6 feet long, $450 (very affordable). The "storage" area behind the seat looks like it has more than plenty of room for tank&bcd, while the front storage area offers plenty of room for misc items such as anchor, mask, etc...

castaway_lg.jpg

castaway_side.jpg

Length 11' 6"
Width 30"
Depth 14"
62 Pounds
Capacity of 350 pounds

what do you think?

That particular kayak appears more set up for fishing. I don't like the hard back seat for diving. I also don't like the drab "run over me Mr. in the fast speedboat" coloration of the thing. I had a kayak similar to that one before I got my Ocean Kayak Scupper pro TW.
Yeah,you could dive from it, install tank hold down straps, using one inch webs and buckles, rig a bungee rope for doffing your gear, try to get one in a bright easy to see color. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom