Thinking of buying a scooter, need some help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spray25

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw the new Sea-Doo Sea Scooter and the price has me thinking of buying one.

What can anyone tell me about it? Any personal experience with it?

I realize it is smaller and only good to 65 feet. I would be ok with the depth limits. I notice it has a lower thrust rating. What does that really mean? I am only looking for something for light duty playing.

I also looked at the Caymans Aqua Sub. Any info on it? It is a lot heavier. It is also a little more $$ so It's only a maybe. (the budget is tight right now)

Unfortnantly the scooters your looking at are for snorkeling not really made for diving no matter what they advertise. Neither one of those scooters is strong enough to pull a diver around at any reasonable speed. The Seadoo is only rated to 30ft and has a static thrust of 11lbs this is not what you want for diving. If you cant afford a top end scooter I would start looking at a used Mako or a Tekna. There is a scooter called the Torpedo which I really haven't read much about but from what I have read their cheap and have gotten some good reveiws. Think they run $800 new but you can get a used Mako in mint shape for that price. Good luck with your research.

PS. I just looked at the Caymans Aqua Sub you mentioned and from its technical info it doesnt sound all that bad. I think when you do your research you should also be looking at the scooters you can drive and ride with 1 hand. Not something that takes 2 hands like the CAS. Actually not sure if this paticular unit takes 2 hands but looks like it does.

If you go with a Mako/Silent Submersion/Gavin/Tekna or Aeris you cant go wrong. All these units use the same motor but some are just modified.

I'd start with a Mako as that can be traded in for some credit on a Silent Submersion/Gavin should you decide that scootering is going to be a big part of your diving and upgrade.

Of the Silent Submersion/Gavin, I prefer the Silent Submersion, simply because from my admittedly very limited "hands on" I found the Silent Submersion handle to be very comfortable.

...on used Apollos/Dacor SeaSprint scooters. Lots of people around here have them. They aren't Gavins or SSs, but they are decent.

Thanks for the info so far guys.

Scubanarc,
I was a little concerned about the 11lbs of thrust as well. I'm guessing that thrust equates into something similar to the torque of a truck engine. On the Sea-doo just so you know they make two units. One rated at 30ft and one rated at 65ft. I was looking at the 65ft one.

Aqua sub makes one called the Tyger Ray (spelling?) also. From what I have read it is a more value priced one. They claim 48lbs of "static" thrust and it is rated to 125 feet.

Please keep the opinions coming.

Well after some cheocking around I found a what I think is a good deal on the Tyger Ray. So I ordered it. I'm hoping it will be here before the end of next week. I got inot it for less than $400.

Has anyone used one of these? I realize it may not perform as well as some of the more expensive ones, but I figured for less the $400 it is hard to go wrong.

Please share if you have used one of the Tyger Rays.

I tried out the Tyger Ray this weekend. It was a blast. I used it off and on for about 2 hours and the batteries seemed as fresh at the end as they did in the begining. It's hard to judge speed under water, but I would say it pulled me along at what I would call a medium to hard swim rate. Add a very light and leisurely kick and you flat out fly through the water! It even towed me and my buddy quite well at the same time, but obviously slower than with just one diver.

I liked it so much I am looking in to becoming a dealer.

So let me know if you want one! :wink:

I understand the tyger ray uses some kind of glove with a magnetic switch to activate it. Is this correct?

if so, how would this work in colder water diving with cold water gloves?

It only goes on your thumb and then around your wrist. It fits over my 7mil gloves just fine.

Back
Top Bottom