Thinking of buying a Canon. But which one? Any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonet

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello to all
I'm thinking of getting into UW photography as a hobby. All my fellow divers tell me to get a Canon. I need something that is not dirt cheap but is not the most expensive. Any suggestions?

I just recently started to get into U/W Photo and my instructor recommended the Canon A650IS. It is a bit of a tank above water (apparently) but size and weight don't matter much in a housing, and it is good value for a 12 megapixel camera.

No idea if it is correct, but that was his advice and I am proposing to rely on it, so I pass it on.

Buying a camera is like buying a car. Models and prices can vary wildly.
There is no single right answer.

I really like the 850is and picked it (twice) for several reasons.
Here are the biggest features I like that influenced my decision.
- very small about the size of deck of cards.
This was a mandatory feature for me. I wanted a small land camera
that could take good photos underwater using a small housing.

- Optical view finder - great for when shooting outdoors and you can't see the LCD.
This was a mandatory feature for me.

- Image stablization. This won't stabilize a moving fish, but means you don't have to be
rock solid to get a clear image. It also allows the shutter speed to be extended
for low light conditions.

- Uses Digic III which is Canon's latest image processor used in all the newer cameras including G9

- Has a programmable button than can be assigned to "custom white balance"
The <PRINT> button can re-assigned.
Sounds goofy on an underwater camera but this allows programming this button to
custom white balance. This allows you to get perfect white balancing for optimal
colors with a single push of a button vs having to go through multiple menus.
The underwater scene mode will not compare in color quality to manual/custom white balancing.
This was a mandatory feature for me.

- 3/4" macro. Basically if you can get the camera that close it will focus.

- CHDK is available for this camera.
CHDK is a s/w image that can be loaded into the camera to give it many new features
including the ability save in RAW, color histogram, full manual control, a battery meter,
and a slew of other features including the ability to modify the code yourself if you
are into that kind of stuff.

- Camera & Housing are about $400.
I just purchased a 2nd 850is setup (camera & housing) for myself a few weeks ago and it
was $390 shipped to my door.
(First setup was for my wife)
You can get spare batteries for about $5 shipped to your house off EBAY.
So far the 2 I purchased have worked just fine.

------
It is 8 mpixel, which for me was plenty.
On the down side it does not use AA batteries.
You do get 200 or so shots so it lasts about 2 good dives before you will need
to replace the batteries if you are taking lots of pictures.
I'm not into carrying strobes or using external lenses so if you are going that route
this may not be the camera for you.
I wanted small & compact for taking snapshots that didn't need strobes
to get decent photos.

Here is a link to a page that has several photos taken with the sd850is.
Bill and Terrie's StCroixFavorites/
A few of these(4 or 5) were taken with a SeaLife DC-500. The SeaLife shots
are a bit washed out or slightly blueish color wise.
These photos were taken by my wife. It is her first camera and she hadn't used
a camera underwater very much prior to this trip.

--- bill

Is CHDK a single program that has all those features? Does it have instructions for the less tech-savvy of us? How much space does it take on a card?

Just got a 570IS and am curious.

Dave

If you plan to utilize various wet mount lenses then you should make sure the camera you choose and housing are capable of effectively doing so. For most people, who are not professional photogs the difference between 5MP and 8MP or 12MP is not going to be a big deal. If your publishing photos or doing enlargements then it could matter in some cases. If you cannot take the shots you want then it don't matter how many MP it has.

The CDHK hack, well, I wish somebody tech savvy would provide plain English instructions for you. I was able to load it on one card but when I tried to load it for a second it did not take, beats me, I am probably skipping a step or something.

N

Is CHDK a single program that has all those features? Does it have instructions for the less tech-savvy of us? How much space does it take on a card?

Just got a 570IS and am curious.

Dave

Not sure on size for the 570is but the space for the sd850is is less than 200k.
I'd assume that the 570is is similar.

It is kind of a pain and a bit complicated to figure out how to get your
card configured and to get it to load, but once you get
the steps down, it is fairly easy.

Once a card is configured, that card can be made to boot CHDK automatically if
you flip the write protect switch. Flip off the switch or insert a non configured card
and you are back to your original camera s/w.

Yes there are some easy directions on how to install it.
Unfortunately the hardest part is finding them on their web site.

Oh and one really cool thing that is built into CHDK is the benchmark tests.
It will performance test your SD cards. It is surprising how different they can be.
I have some cards that are 20x faster than others. This makes a big difference
when writing your picture images especially when taking RAW and saving the
Jpeg too.

They do have tons of information on the main page and a link off to the discussion Forums.

Best place to learn is on the main page: CHDK forum

Start by reading the "Basic Articles".

--- bill

I have the A720 and really like it except for one problem. The camera uses only 2 AA batteries and because of this the cycle time after taking a photo using flash is quite long. Having to wait for this flash recycle is a pain and I'd recommend buying one that has 4 AA's and a shorter recycle time.

I suggest the Canon 40D with the ikelite housing. This is a bit more expensive (in the order of 3-4K) but will allow the camera to grow with you by using multiple lens, ports and strobes.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom