thinking of adding a DSLR? I was...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I recently added a dslr set up to my ever growing collection of camera equipment. You may have noticed I didn’t say “upgraded to a dslr” set up. I’ll leave it to the experts to delve into the technical reasons why dslr is superior to other digital cameras – I’m only in this for fun and most of that stuff goes straight over my head! This is likely to be a long-winded report, so brace yourselves. Many of these photos are not fabulous – they are included here to show the process of my learning.

I decided on the Canon 20D over the other options available at the time I was deciding. Why? Gut instinct in the long run. It seemed a capable system, there were other users out there who could help me with specific questions and the service for Canon in my area is far superior to other brands so if something does, god forbid, go wrong there’s a good chance I can get it dealt with quickly and painlessly. When you live 1200kms from the nearest city service is an issue. I did have existing Canon EOS lenses, but this didn’t really influence my decision as I was pretty sure I’d have to start from scratch for any underwater work. I had the old 100mm macro EOS lens, but added the newer version anyway. So for me, existing system components weren’t influential on camera body choice.

I also have an entire Ikelite system for our old EOS film camera – all ports etc are in excellent condition so the Ikelite housing was pretty tempting. I asked a lot of questions, annoyed a lot of people and tossed and turned many nights trying to decide which housing to go with. The top two choices, for me, were the Ike and the Subal. I decided on Subal. Why? The biggest factors for me were size, weight and finish. I knew that if it proved too bulky I would hate it and wouldn’t use it – no matter the price tag.

I couldn’t lay hands on any of the new equipment before I bought it, so some of the housings may be close in size and weight and this might not be a factor for others as much. I relied on anecdotes of hand sizes and control access. Ryan at Reef Photo was pretty influential – he detailed the pros of each housing (and there are a lot of them for the Ikelite and Aquaticas) and then mentioned some of the niggly things for each. The Subal’s nigglies were things I thought I could live with versus some things that might become burdensome as I intend to do more diving in the next 12 months than I have been over the past 12 months. Something that seems like a minor annoyance once in while may become a real PITA when you dive multiple times a week and aren’t handy at all!

And, let’s face it – it’s one sexy housing. :wink:

For lenses I decided on Canon’s 100 macro and 60mm EFS macro plus Sigma’s 10-20 to get started. I decided on the Sigma because the Canon offering was a whole lot more money and the reviews and examples I was seeing from the Sigma were more than adequate for my needs. Again, I’ll let the experts wander into whose lens is better stuff – the land shots I’ve done with the Sigma are perfectly fine and I expect the underwater shots to please me, too – once I get the right zoom ring!

First impressions of the Subal housing: very cute little unit. Smooth finish. Terrible manual – it’s next to useless. Disappointing packaging. The housing body arrived with no port cover so it was filled with those stupid packing peanuts and bits of those packing peanuts. It took me ages to get all that crud out of the housing body and I swear I am still finding little bits that have seemingly been trapped behind the innards. This just seemed low-budget to me – and it didn’t get better with the ports.

The macro ports had plastic protective covers and covers for the open ends. However, both ports were very dirty. Lots of fine dirt and hairs/fibres. Again, took quite a while to clean these out.

The wide angle port about sent me over the edge. No cover for the glass part itself. No cover for the open end either. It was wrapped in a double layer of bubble wrap so it was secure enough, but that didn’t stop it collecting more debris on the inside. And for a port that costs more than several hundred dollars I would expect the company to throw in a token scratch cover. But they don’t. I still don’t understand why there’s no cover for the open end on this one while the macros do have them.

None of these things reflect on how the system works, so in the end they are just minor details. If it were my company, it’s not how I would do it, but it must work for them. So onwards and upwards.

I chose to use the 100mm macro lens first despite lots of warnings on how potentially difficult this lens can be. I have about 15 dives with this lens now and I like it. I envisioned this lens to be my first choice for the cleaning action while still allowing me the opportunity to shoot nudibranchs and the like.

The 100mm (or similar for other brands) is the “working distance” macro. It allows a little more room between you and your subject so lighting is theoretically easier and you can capture more skittish creatures and not disturb behaviour.

However, I find I am running into the opposite problem more often – the fish are too close and I can’t get far enough away. I know, terrible problem to have, but there you go.

This wobbie wasn’t very big as far as wobbegongs go, but I found that by the time I put enough distance between him and the lens all I was getting was junk. So I moved in for a more abstract look.

wobbietext.jpg

Small fish, like this scorpionfish, work pretty well.

scorpion.jpg

And pairs of medium sized fish are good, too…

twostripeysweet.jpg

This lens will focus fast. This, combined with the slightly larger working distance, was extremely beneficial to me in the dive conditions so far – lot of surge meant that I was moving, the fish was moving and the sand/particles were moving. When I was shooting fish…the working distance didn’t help me at all with the tiny nudis. The lens didn’t hunt or grab onto the floaties nearly as much I had expected. At cleaning stations I like the fast focus as the little wrasse are quick and they change positions all the time.

fusilier2cleanersunder.jpg

fusilier2cleanersmouth1.jpg

I even found in several low light situations it didn’t have a hunting problem. In others it does like the help of an aiming light but I haven’t quite figured out why it needs it some times and not others.

I caught this cod spitting sand (I have no idea why) and yawning out of the corner of my eye while shooting a nudibranch. I swung around, hit the * button and then the shutter. BAM – the focus did a pretty good job, I think.

honeycombmouth1.jpg

Despite the number of dives I have with this lens, I don’t feel I have given it a fair run yet. I spent a lot of those dives testing different settings, playing with the controls, practicing reaching the housing controls with one and two hands and experimenting with different strobe angles and settings. For those not familiar with what will happen when you choose a shutter speed too high for your strobe/camera to synch, here it is!

damselsynch.jpg

Framing with the view finder is much more difficult than some would have you believe, at least for me. This is especially noticeable on tight framing, of course. I am constantly getting the subject right at the edge of the frame or cutting off a body part. I am also considering a new mask that might make the angle better. As is, I often am not looking square on – at least I assume that is the problem…I can’t see the numbers along the bottom of the screen.

codeyeoff.jpg

It took three goes to get both the eggs and the mating nudis in the frame…and even then I ended up with them too far to the right.

nudieggscut1.jpg

nudieggscut2.jpg

There are four parts to this problem, I think: 1) the dramatic change from lcd to viewfinder, 2) quite surgey conditions for the vast majority of my 100mm dives – I probably shouldn’t have tried to learn this lens/system right off in these conditions 3) it’s hard for me to one hand the housing smoothly and 4) user incompetence.

I am getting better with #3. I can comfortably hold the housing in my right hand with my thumb on the * button and my finger on the shutter release. I can comfortably use the shutter release holding the housing in one hand most times, but sometimes I find I tilt the housing slightly – my finger is just not quite strong enough. What I still have problems with, and I think it’s a matter of coordination and hand strength, is holding the housing steady, pushing the * button and then smoothly pressing the shutter release without moving the housing – all one handed. I am already getting better but it’s tough. I think if one has slightly larger or slightly stronger hands this isn’t so much of an issue.

#4 is not self-deprecating, I didn’t and haven’t taken the time to use the viewfinder on land nor to really get to know the lenses on land before hitting the water. Knowing I have access to pretty good diving pretty easily makes me happier to just get out there and learn as I go. Although that’s sometimes hard to remember when reviewing the shots with missing body parts LOL

I switched to the 60mm lens one day as the site we were planning to visit I knew would be covered in nudibranchs and also had some areas where I knew I would want a wider view. It turned out to be a great decision and I was pretty happy with the results. The 60mm does not give as wide a view as I saw in my mind’s eye – again, a normal person probably would have checked that out on land first – but it didn’t matter, it worked great.

Strobe placement can be tougher with this lens as sometimes I am right on top of whatever it is I am shooting. I have another 12 or so dives with this lens and am getting better at remembering to move the strobe correctly!

A concern I had was not being able to get up close and personal to some creatures. And I am sure there are critters out there that I’ll miss using this lens. However, it seems this isn’t as huge of an issue as I feared…just takes patience! Both are full frame...you can see I am still cutting bits off the gobie!

gobiecu.jpg

mantis2.jpg

I very much like the 60mm lens. It lets me shoot a wide range of sizes, from teeny nudis (especially with Woody’s dioptre) to good sized fish. I believe that switching to this lens from the 100mm was a good thing – I think had I started with this one, I would have been very frustrated with the 100mm but now I have learned some more things and feel I can take that back to the 100mm. I knew going into the 60mm what problems I was having and so deliberately set out to find fixes for them.

I’ve decided that for the most part, I prefer my focus set on the * button rather than the shutter release. I have switched back and forth a few times, but mostly stay lazy and keep it on the *. With silty conditions I find the shutter release focus setting will make the lens hunt far more.

Things I love about this system:
1 – it’s a lot smaller than I thought it would be and handling is very good. It doesn’t create much more drag underwater than my Olympus 5050.

Subal for Canon 20D; Ikelite for Fuji 810; Olympus for Olympus 5050
housingsH.jpg

housingsV.jpg

2 – fast write time. No waiting. I can shoot before the strobe is ready.
3 – clean up. The finish on the Subal is wonderful. It rinses easily and dries off easily. Water seems to come out from behind the buttons and dials without a lot of fuss. On the Oly housing it always seemed I had one more drop to deal with.
4 – the buttons, levers and dials are smooth to operate. The shutter release is a dream and the half press is easy to feel. It was rare that I would trigger the shutter when I actually meant to focus.
5 – set up time. I thought I would go from five minutes from phone call to ready to get on the boat to hours of preparation. Not so. This system goes together smoothly with minimal fuss. Seals are pretty easy to check – I guess if you can’t see them, that counts as easy, right? It takes me about five minutes to put everything together, including cleaning the port, if my strobe is already connected. If I need to do that, too, it adds another couple of minutes. In real time, ten minutes and I am ready to roll.
6 – it’s darn sexy.
{additions}
7 - not only are the buttons etc very smooth to operate, they are very clearly marked and easy to read so even if you forget what one does or where something is, it's easy to find.
8 - all the changes I have made to settings etc are one button push or one movement away (bar changing the focus from * to shutter). This is a great joy after having to press, & hold one button while moving another dial!

Things I don’t love…yet...I don't hate these things, they just take some getting used to:
1 – the inflexibility on a dive. I still long for my stacked macros and WAL on some dives. I think this is actually harder for me living where I do than if I was on holiday with a finite number of dives scheduled. I kind of wander around with no particular purpose on most dives – just scoping things out and watching the action. The Olympus 5050 and add-on lenses were perfect for that.
2 – having to use the viewfinder to frame. When I’m really close, it’s easy for me to cut bits off or be too far to one side. I am sure this is practice, but it can be frustrating.
3 – fast write time. No waiting. I can shoot before the strobe is ready…this is a tragedy really as some behaviour I’d love to be able to just zip through frames. Guess I might be strobe hunting…
4 – the shutter speed control as a dial on the top of the housing. Extremely awkward for me.

Things that don’t matter one way or another…yet:
1 – shutter lag. Yes, I am sure it’s wonderful not to have any shutter lag. But I was getting pretty good with the Olympus 5050 and don’t feel for the types of shooting I have done as yet it’s a huge difference. I expect that to change as I learn more about this system and try different things.

Advice for those considering adding a dslr:
If you want it and you have some extra cash sitting around, go for it! It is a lot of fun. And I have promised myself to do more on the surface, too, so I am looking forward to that. So far it has failed to happen, but I am hopeful I will get motivated before long.

Not having to wait for the file to write is fabulous. I might miss a shot for a different reason, but no more sitting around waiting for the dumb light to stop blinking. I was happy with the wait and found good use for that time while I was shooting the Oly, but certainly don’t miss it!

Adding a dslr will not make you a better photographer. Only getting out there and taking those photos and diving more will. I believe my photos have gone decidedly backwards in a lot of cases, but I don’t care. I’m having a ball and learning new things and most importantly – I’m out diving! But if you do get one, I can’t stress enough how important it will be to learn the new system before you head out on your holiday (I believe this goes with all new systems, but there’s a certain something about moving to dslr that seems to lead people to believe that they will get wonderful results every time.)

I’m not a complete convert to dslr. I don’t believe that going dslr will suit every diver out there and I do believe that there are so called point and shoots that offer a lot of benefits and that can produce excellent results. Will those results be different? Most probably. Will the average viewer or shooter really be able to tell the difference? Maybe – but I doubt it. Are the results worth the difference in price, learning curve, size, flexibility etc? Only the individual can answer that one – everyone is different…thankfully there are about a zillion choices out there! Would I do it again? Sure! I love to shop and I love to dive and I am digging the new challenge.

Does this help anyone? I don't know. I hope so :) Is there more I could/should add? Probably but I will have to add it later.

Wow! nice set up! I have been looking at the same thing. Awesome shots too. Someday soon I hope. dont want to be rude, but any ball park figures on total $?

just noticed your in aussie country. still curious on figures though

I bought everything in the US. You can spend however much you want on a system!

Go to www.reefphotovideo.com and have a look through some of the options. It ain't cheap, that's for sure! And there is always one more thing to buy :)

Thanks for the report. I'm actually in the same situation right now. Trying to decide on camera, housing and strobes and praying that I won't regret it. The learning curve will be interesting especially for the light. It seems that a lot of DSLR users are shooting with the strobes in manual rather than TTL underwater. So I can already see the underexpose, overexpose shots coming my way. So it is a scary conversion for me as I'm lucky enought to go dive 3-4 times a year but not lucky enough to be living by the sea where I could go practice and learn before going on trips. So I probably will continue carrying my little sony T1 with me for a while, thank god that it fits in the BC pocket perfectly. I probably will start learning WA first and shoot the macro with the T1 for a little while so I don't get completely frustated :) and still have a few shots of my first diving trips with the DSLR system.
Thanks again for the report
Sylvie

Thanks for the very indepth report. I appreciate all the time and effort you put into it. "thumb" It's a must read for anyone wondering "should I, could I" when thinking about adding a DSLR. It certainly answered alot of my questions. Mainly it makes me realize that I don't dive in clear saltwater often enough to warrant the expense.

Very nice report Alcina, enjoy reading it

It's nice as it give a good easy prospective to it other than the tech stuff. Enjoyed the photos and all look good...

So, just something wandering (wondering) minds wanna know.

- did you consider the L&M housing?
- would you have, no questions in you mind, gone with an oly 7070 or equivalent?
- is shooting through the viewfinder compared to the LCD a PITA?
- you mention "Other Options" regards to camera makers, Nikon comes immediately to mind, with what were you comparing? D50? D70's or the new D200 (wasn't out yet?). apologies as I forget the comparable models so I might be out of the levels here.

The reason I ask as I have been, and will continue for a while yet between a DSLR and the simple Oly 7070 in a decent housing setup.. Is going to the DSLR that much more different that it would be best to shoot for the DSLR or are they pretty close in photo quality..

thanx much... good report eh??

fpoole:

- nope :)
- ? not sure I understand the question... no, I was adding a dslr set up. I wouldn't trade my Olympus 5050 in for anything and never considered moving to a different Oly or similar setup, even before thinking of dslr!
- yes :D
- when I first started I looked at all the major manufacturer's that were supported by a selection of housings including Nikon, Fuji and other Canon models...comparable and not so much.

Your last question is impossible to answer. Both types of systems have benefits and disadvantages. Only the individual shooter can determine what is right. If you're looking at publishing, be assured that there are lots of published images out there from non-dslr set ups...is this changing, yes most likely, but my guess is mostly because the names that are routinely publishing are changing systems. This probably doesn't apply to 99% of the people out there.

OK, thanks much...
Good report as it give the sort of Down to earth practical point of view..
thanx again..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom