Thinking of a G7Xiii. Is it worth the switch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am currently shooting a Sony A6000 in a Nauticam housing (with both a port for the "kit lens and a dome port for the 10-18mm lens). I really like the A6000, but I am looking at downsizing my system and one of the leading contenders is the Canon G7Xiii. I realize that there is the potential for a minor decrease in image quality as I move from the APS-C size sensor on my A6000 to the 1inch sensor on the G7Xiii, but given the more modern technology, I would expect this to be fairly minimal. I shoot almost exclusively stills, so video quality isn't critical.

Here are my questions:
1. For people who use the G7X underwater (either the Mk2 or Mk3) how do you like it? (I realize that there probably aren't a lot of Mk3's out there yet especially housed ones that are going underwater.)

2. I have an M16 Vacuum Valve on my Nauticam housing. The Fantasea housing for the G7Xiii can use an M16 Vacuum Valve. Would the one in my Nauticam housing be able to be swapped over to a Fantasea housing if I go that way? (Is "M16" a standard across brands?)

3. Will the image quality from the 1 inch sensor be noticeably worse that that from an APS-C sensor in "normal" (not extreme) conditions?

4. Are there any factors that may not be obvious that could be either "deal makers" or "deal breakers"?

Thanks for your help. My goal is to more easily get my underwater camera set up more easily into my carry on. I can do it with my A6000, but I have gotten some "push back" at check in on a couple trips.

@BluewaterPhoto I would really be interested in your thoughts. Would a Canon G7Xiii be a good option if I am looking to downsize from a Sony A6000 or would I be losing too much image quality with the smaller sensor?

Has anybody else made a similar switch? How did you like it?

I haven't switched but I dive the G7X mk 3 with the new fantasea vacuum housing. Its a good camera and i'd recommend it. The software is different to the mk 2 as there are no underwater settings (not that you need them of course).

Back
Top Bottom