Thinking digital

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might want to check that attachment. It only partially loaded but it looks extremely large!

well i've decided to upgrade my camera. I've gotten Agfa's the last two times but i'm tired of upgrading every couple years so I'm going to go with a fancier more reliable camera and I've decided to get an Oly C-4040. I will eventually probably get the housing for it but will wait on that for now until I get familiar with the camera and how to use it. Cheapest I've found it is refurb with warranty for $439 at pcrush.com

Like Dee said, the words "good" and "cheap" don't go together, however there is a digital answer for you ...
The Sea Life Reefmaster DC200:

http://www.epinions.com/Sea_Life_Reefmaster_DC200_Digital_Underwater_Camera__Camera_SL121?sp=ielec

Now if you decide that money is no object:
Digital Photography review is your best bet to see whats out there and a good recommendation is the Canon G3; above or under water:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_g3.asp

And the housing that goes with it is the Ikelite:
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/5can_g3.html

These aren't cheap ... and this doesn't include a strobe ... and you don't want to know the price ...

Good Luck!

Dee once bubbled...
You might want to check that attachment. It only partially loaded but it looks extremely large!

Yeah, it said it was to big.. I have to figure out how to resize it when I get some free time.

I am raising my money limit and looking at the Canon s40 or 45. The Canon housing looks a little iffy and is only rated to 100ft so I'm searching for a better one, probably Ikelite.

Thanks again,

Dave

Inspector#2 once bubbled...
I am raising my money limit and looking at the Canon s40 or 45. The Canon housing looks a little iffy and is only rated to 100ft so I'm searching for a better one, probably Ikelite.

Thanks again,

Dave

Go with the Ikelite... Mine is only rate to 100 ft also.. And I find it very limiting... I normally dive under 100fsw every dive.. And if I do take my camera, I have to stay above that.. Although.... I have read reports of the PT housings going to as deep as 200fsw.... I wouldn't take mine there... It cracks, and pop's enough just getting to 100... I would hate to flood and destroy my camera...

Just a thought...

Ya, it would suck to flood a completely electronic camera. I have a Ikelite housing for my video, and a fairly cheap ($300 used) video camera just in case it does flood.

Which model housing are you looking at? I checked the Ikelite page and couldn't find one for the S45.

D

Inspector#2 once bubbled...

Thanks again,

Dave

NICE! I hope my comments about the S30 helped you in that decision! I've felt outnumbered by all the Olympus users underwater at times! Just kidding, Oly makes a great camera.

Brands aside, you made a smart decision to upgrade in quality. I think the $4-$600 range is the 'sweet spot' in digicams right now. You get a lot of bang for your buck. Don't forget you're getting a new topside camera that will reinvigorate your snapshot shooting as well. Probably the biggest advantage of the Canon S vs. the Oly is the size and the way it fits in your pocket. VERY easy to take along.

As far as UW cases, remember that the S30 through S50 are functionally identical on the outside. A case made for one will fit all.

BTW, I believe the S40 is being phased out in favor of the S45. S45 has some internal upgrades that the reviewers really like. If you havn't been there yet, make sure you go to

http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM

and read their reviews. The 'camparometer' is very cool.

GB

geebee once bubbled...
....I've felt outnumbered by all the Olympus users underwater at times! Just kidding, Oly makes a great camera.
GB

We Olympus users may be in the majority but that's because we got started first!

I don't know enough about Conon's products so I really depend on you to help with questions about them. And you're right about the size. The Oly housing is smaller than most but sometimes I wish I could just drop my housing in a pocket !

We're getting a good info base started here so I hope we can answer anyones questions on any brands available for U/W photography.

Oh yea...that camporameter is cool!

bholbertii once bubbled...

Now if you decide that money is no object:
Digital Photography review is your best bet to see whats out there and a good recommendation is the Canon G3; above or under water:

canon G3? best bet? No.... it's a good camera, but if you are going to describe something as "money no object", then you move up to the world of SLR-style digital cameras.

By the way... the new canon EOS-10D is looking very nice... wonder when they'll be available.

Cheapest solutions are the reefmaster style. Usually not recommended.

Next in line are the Canon S- lineup (with canon's housing), along with the sony p-series with sony housing.

Next: Olympus with Olympus housing

Once you move to an Ikelite housing, you have several choices including canon, olympus, nikon, and sony. All of these cameras have strengths and weaknesses. You need to decide which features best suit your needs.

By the way, I would read more than one of the "review" websites... these reviews are usually good, but they can be subjective.

If you are staying mostly shallower than 100ft., then I'd stick with the cameras that have the housings made by the camera manufacturer.

If you are mostly using your camera deeper than 100ft... then maybe ikelite (or some others).

I purchased a camera that required a 3rd party housing (ie. ikelite), and I am very happy with it. I probably could be almost as happy for 1/2 the money. It's all a trade-off. Decide what is most important to you.

I don't recall ever wanting to put my camera in a pocket. It has a case (several, in fact). If it's out.... it's normally in constant use. If not, it's in one of the cases. But again.... everyone is different.

Back
Top Bottom