thinking about the future tec dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keltix123

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Fairly new diver here thinking about the future and there is a plan to slowly go into tech diving. now I have my own gear already. the bcd is xdeep zeos 38 and talking to my instructor to go into tech I would need to change the bladder to a different one.
according to the xdeep spces the zeos 38 can be used for up to 1x18L bottle so to use doubles I would need to get the hydros 40 that can be used with up top 2x15l bottles. Now the thing that I do not understand is what is different, because of the specs the zeos 38 has 38lbs of lift and the hydros 40 has 40 lbs so it is not the lift capacity that is the difference here right ?
I hope that someone can explain it to me a bit more since my instructor is sometimes hard to talk to.

The difference is the width. A double wing will fold around a mono cylinder and trap air in the bladder, and a mono wing can't unfold fully under a twinset. I have the hydros 50 for a 12l steel twinset and am very happy with it.

The important difference between single tank wings and doubles wings is their shape and width. You should definitely have the appropriate wing for each application.

I hope that someone can explain it to me a bit more since my instructor is sometimes hard to talk to.
Then I suggest you find a different instructor. To pursue technical training you need a highly skilled, knowledgeable instructor that will help make sure you are ready - both in terms of proper gear, your skills and your mental readiness.

Whilst I haven't dived Xdeep's wings specifically, you're correct in saying that it isn't the lift difference here that makes the difference between single and double tank configurations.

Instead, it is the wing geometry. If you look at the Hydros vs the Zeos, you will see that the Hydros is wider, and the inner, non-bladder section is a lot bigger to accommodate double tanks side by side, rather than the Zeos which is narrower.

Fairly new diver here thinking about the future and there is a plan to slowly go into tech diving. now I have my own gear already. the bcd is xdeep zeos 38 and talking to my instructor to go into tech I would need to change the bladder to a different one.
according to the xdeep spces the zeos 38 can be used for up to 1x18L bottle so to use doubles I would need to get the hydros 40 that can be used with up top 2x15l bottles. Now the thing that I do not understand is what is different, because of the specs the zeos 38 has 38lbs of lift and the hydros 40 has 40 lbs so it is not the lift capacity that is the difference here right ?
Lift might be the same but Hydros is much wider to take doubles. Zeos is just about wide enough for a single tank.

as mentioned - if your struggling to understand what is being talked about -its either them not explaining or you not getting it - or a bit of both

firstly is the instructor your talking to a tech instructor ? they might be winging it ( no pun intended) not wanting admit they dont know

Thanks for the replies. Yeah the shape makes sense.
The instructor is a tec instructor but it sometimes feel like he just does not like to share the knowledge which is a bit frustrating

If sometimes in the future i swap to the hydros 40 i assume it can still be used for single tank dives. There will not be a problem because of the different shape ?

A doubles wing will “taco” when used with a single tank - it will fold and wrap around the tank because it’s too big, which is very unfun to dive. You really should have separate wings for doubles and single tanks, it’s no problem to swap between them as needed.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah the shape makes sense.
The instructor is a tec instructor but it sometimes feel like he just does not like to share the knowledge which is a bit frustrating
Time for a new instructor.

There is a difference between someone who has a tech instructor card and a tech instructor who can teach well. Some people may have the essential skills required to get the card without having the necessary emotional intelligence or teaching aptitude. If your instructor cannot explain the differences between gear and articulate their opinion, you're not getting what you need. Would you tolerate that type of service from, say, a restaurant or a car mechanic?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom