Thinking about Belize for next year-need suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the OP has not done COCO View on Roatan that would be a good warm water dive dive dive option...................

We stayed at Turneffe Flats a couple of years ago. Even though the resort caters primarily to fishing, they do have an on-site dive op, and we were the only two divers there the week we stayed, so we had a dedicated boat to ourselves.

Needless to say, we dove places that you will never dive from a live-aboard, although we also dove the "traditional" sites, like the Blue Hole one day. Most of our diving was along the northern part of the caye, both on the east and west sides, and it was nothing short of spectacular. Since it was just two divers, the DM took us to places that he told us he would not take a group, and many of them were places that he said he seldom dove, but were his favorites.

A little pricey, sometimes, but they do post some specials on occassion.

Personally, I don't see any reason to go to Belize to dive if you aren't spending a few days doing the topside activities there. That is the beauty of Belize - so rich in Mayan culture and history, gorgeous jungles, enourmous caves, etc. If all you want to do is dive dive dive, then maybe Belize isn't the best for you. Yes, the liveaboards can get you good wall diving but 2 weeks in a row of the same sites... :confused: For the price, I would just do 1 week on a liveaboard in the Pacific, like Palau or Fiji.
Just my 2 cents.

You are right. I don't particularly care about going to Belize. I'm just looking for a place to go dive for 2 weeks. Belize is an option and as you suggest so is the Pacific where we can actually do 10 day liveaboard trips. I was looking for options and trying to see if Belize would be a viable one. I definitely don't want to dive the same sites for 2 weeks straight. Just did that in Bonaire :D

You are right. I don't particularly care about going to Belize. I'm just looking for a place to go dive for 2 weeks. Belize is an option and as you suggest so is the Pacific where we can actually do 10 day liveaboard trips. I was looking for options and trying to see if Belize would be a viable one. I definitely don't want to dive the same sites for 2 weeks straight. Just did that in Bonaire :D

Someone just posted a Trip Report for the PeterHughes liveaboard in Belize down on the Liveaboard Forum. You might want to read through it and check out the photos. :D

Someone just posted a Trip Report for the PeterHughes liveaboard in Belize down on the Liveaboard Forum. You might want to read through it and check out the photos. :D

Thanks! Will do. You are helpful as always :D

Still deciding what to do but I wanted to let you all know that I checked out the info on ATM Cave. You sold me. I had made the assumption that this would be another simple trek to a touristy little cave. Been there done that in Cuba. It looks like this is at the level that we would enjoy. Or at least the hype on the web pages make it look worthwhile. Although compared to hiking in Alaska it still looks pretty tame :)

Thanks again all. At this point I'm thinking of a week on Agressor, a few days on a landbased resort like Turneffe, and then a couple of days on the mainland. Still looking to maximize the diving, though. Haven't ruled out other places like the Pacific.

Still deciding what to do but I wanted to let you all know that I checked out the info on ATM Cave. You sold me. I had made the assumption that this would be another simple trek to a touristy little cave. Been there done that in Cuba. It looks like this is at the level that we would enjoy. Or at least the hype on the web pages make it look worthwhile. Although compared to hiking in Alaska it still looks pretty tame :)

Thanks again all. At this point I'm thinking of a week on Agressor, a few days on a landbased resort like Turneffe, and then a couple of days on the mainland. Still looking to maximize the diving, though. Haven't ruled out other places like the Pacific.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone who has done the ATM cave that would say - could have skipped that.........

There's a group in Alaska that dives the same site every weekend. They see different things every dive.

I'm actually quite familiar with that group :D.

My first ever dive in Alaska was a night dive with those folks. Although I had a trilaminate drysuit with me I hadn't carried my undergarment so had to improvise, and I have never been so cold in my whole life!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom