Thinking about a trip to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirty-Dog

Frequently Censored
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are talking about a fall diving trip, and Hawaii came up. So for those in the know...
1 - What is the best time in the fall to go, and what sort of weather and water temp can we expect?
2 - Which island or islands?
3 - Which dive ops?
Thanks for the advice. :)

Fall is generally awesome time of year to head to Hawaii for diving. Water is usually it's warmest of the year from September 'til mid November or so, and the summer crowds are gone.

You'll get all sorts of recommendations as far as which island to go to. Each island is different, both above water and below, and has it's own thing going for it.

I'll give a plug for the Big Island as it's the one I'm most familiar with. The island itself is big, roughly twice the size of the other main islands combined, so there's lots of exploring to do. The island is largely undeveloped, the Kona (west) side, which is the primary diving side, you can probably count all the buildings taller than 4 stories on your fingers with fingers to spare, but still has the general tourist type of businesses people traveling look for.... restaurants, shopping, resorts, water and topside activities, etc. It does have a live volcano (you may or may not be able to walk right up to a live flow, depending on what's happening at the time) going for it as well.

The Big Island also has nice beaches, although being a geologically young island it won't be ringed with nice beaches like the others, you may have to seek them out some. Being geologically young has advantages when it comes to diving though... less sand, soil, and no streams or rivers (west side) makes for great conditions for healthy coral reef (here's a NOAA article) with great viz. Reefs and dive sites are plentiful and boat rides are short unless you sign up for a long range trip.

Have fun!

The Big Island is fantastic. My wife and I have gone there every Christmas for the past 12 years.
We stopped diving it a few years back, but will get back into it again this year. My interest was piqued by a great article posted on this Page on March 19, titled "Article on Diving Kona" (sorry, I don't know how to re-post the article, but its only one page back).

There is so much to do on the Island as well. There is a very cool black sand beach, volcanoes, good restaurants, and the people are very friendly.

I've also been to Maui a few times, but the diving wasn't as memorable.

But really, you can't lose picking any of the islands. Hawaii is great.

Enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom