Thinkin about U/W photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AuburnFan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a Nikon D50 DSLR that i have used for about 3 years. I really enjoy taking pictures and have thought about doing it while diving. My question would be then, is this a decent camera to use for u/w pics? What kind of housing and strobes would i need?

RAW capability is a really big advantage when it comes to underwater photography as it allows you to set the white balance using software. Without it, you may have to periodically reset your white balance when shooting .jpg as conditions change. Plus the flexibility in RAW for greater adjustments is good too if your camera settings are not quite right.

There are several good point & shoot cameras (and housings) now that may end up being cheaper (and smaller, simpler to use etc.) than buying a DSLR housing and associated accessories. You might rummage through the various camera forums (Canon Corner, Olympus, Nikon etc.) for ideas and opinions (plenty of those!). Kinda depends--on budget of course but also on how much you want the photography to take over your diving. The better p&s cameras can do a credible job and still keep the diving fun. (Not that DLSR shooters don't have fun! :eyebrow: ) // ww

So if i could find a used housing my D50 should be a good camera to use?

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

After i have a few more dives i will start dragging a camera with me. :D

By all means, if you can get a housing for a camera you are already used to, go that route. Maybe a "Want to buy" post on SB classifieds? // ww

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom