Things to do in Sydney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalekainxx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to Sydney for 5 days. What are some must see or do things there?

Any restuarants recommandations as well?

Although it sounds incredibly touristy, I would really recommend the bridge climb. My husband and I did it, and it was great fun, and provided spectacular views of the city, and a sense of the topography that you don't get from ground level.

We also took the ferry out to Manly and checked out the beach there. It's a very pretty boat ride which gives you a good look at the headlands that define the entrance to the Sydney harbor.

We really enjoyed the Sydney Aquarium as well, and it was a great "warm-up" for the diving we were to do later, as we had seen a lot of the species we later saw.

We loved Sydney. Don't have any particular restaurant recommendations, though -- we kind of ate hit or miss where we happened to be at the time.

Go to the Coogee Bay Hotel (CBH) on a sunday afternoon and have lots to drink....

I used to live right next door!!

Restaurants: The Very Nice - Aqua Luna in north sydney-not far from Luna Park (old fun park on prime land) or Rockpool in the Rocks area or The W Hotel in Woolloomoolloo. Sunday brunch, go to Panarama in Bondi for a yummy breakie.

For fun and a good meat pie, cant go past Harry's Cafe'd'Wheels, in Woolloomooloo, near Garden Island naval base - get the pie, peas and mash - great night time atmosphere and its just down from The W hotel. The Flying Fish at Pyrmont (near darling harbour) and even the sydney fish markets offers good meals or just get some oysters at the growers co-op and cooked prawns and sit by the water having lunch. a bit out of sydney - Noahs at Palm Beach - sell the house to pay for it but the view is worth it. oh, otherwise get a sea plane and fly to berowa waters (or Noahs) for lunch and back.

Fun things to do: Sydney Harbour Bridge climb, even the locals do this - its fun.
Manly Aquarium does shark dives for a bit of cheessy fun. if youre here in summer - try to catch a game of cricket just for the fun of it. on the weekends, go to The Rocks markets and the Lord Nelson pub is good for good ale and food any time.

If you are coming in January go to a open theatre night (catch a movie at botanical gardens overlooking harbour) or taronga zoo night visit (also prime land location).
Sydney Observatory night tour also.

If just want to hang out by a ocean pool and relax - Coogee baths (near Gordons Bay) and yes, hit the pub up the road afterwards.

and another big yes to catching some ferries around the harbour to see the sights for a fraction of the cost. take a packed lunch and enjoy or do a kayaking harbour tour.

do a day tour of blue mountains - i think the company is called Tread Lightly tours and they offer small groups to areas the bigger companys dont go to.

take advantage of our sydney olympic facilities. white water rafting at penrith or go to the main stadium for archery, swimming, bike riding ect - all fun stuff you might not do at home.

If your diving, put kurnell in Sutherland Shire on your list for weddy sea dragons or Magic Point at Maroubra for grey nurse sharks.

if i had family coming - these are some of the things i would be thinking off so hope its some help and youre welcome to PM me if you have any questions.

cheers

I forgot -- we enjoyed the Opera House tour, with the history of the building, very much as well. And then we went and saw HMS Pinafore performed there. Since the Opera House is the international icon of Sydney, it was a great memory to have.

Go diving! There are many nice sites near/around Sydney - enough to fill four days. On the fifth day, take a break before you fly and visit to the Art Gallery of New South Wales. For good food, just stroll around the Sydney Fish Market.

Lots of interesting shops and restaurants in Chinatown. My kids also enjoyed the Powerhouse Museum (a science museum http://www.phm.gov.au/), which is down the hill from Chinatown near Darling Harbour. The Bondi Beach area is close and is quite a busy place for local teens to hang out. No shortage of restaurants along the strip there.

My 11-year old daughter is a young competitive swimmer, so we spent an afternoon at the Sydney Olympic aquatic center (it's quite an impressive facility) and she immediately jumps into the 'fast' last. No ego there!

Enjoy your time in Sydney.

Thanks for the suggestions. Seems like maybe i'll need more then 5 days. Maybe i'll spend a few more days after I finish diving in Cairns.

Take a ride on the monorail or go up the ANP tower for a nice view over the city... :14:

ahh, the AMP tower now has some sort of "sky walk" tourist thing happening. they harness you up and you walk on the outside of it now and look over the city.

for my money - i would still do the harbour bridge climb, but the AMP thing is a good idea also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom