They can't fix my EON lux, want to swap a Favor Air for it. Should I?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dulcediver

Reaction score
I bought an EON lux a few months ago at the local dive shop clearance for about $225. On my first dive I learned that the backlight did not work. The dive shop sent it back for repair under the mfg. warranty.

The dive shop has called me to say that Suunto says they cannot fix the backlight so they are offering to send me a Favor Air Lux in it's place, which they claim is essentially the same computer. I have done some browsing and it seems that the Favor is really a budget computer, but I'm not sure what the differences are between the two. I believe the Favor is not PC compatible. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of both computers who can help me out?

I am assuming the Favor they would send would be brand-new, since they still manufacture it.

Another route I was thinking of going is I have decided I want to become Nitrox certified, does anyone think I can convince Suunto to give me a Nitrox one in place of the Eon? Any suggestions of what I should ask for? Perhaps I should offer to pay the difference?

I am going on a week long live aboard trip in November so I want to be well-equiped.

The return policy at my local dive shop is no refunds, exchanges only, so refund for purchase price is not an option, although I have not discussed it with then.

Any help would be appreciated. All of these equipment purchase decisions are overwhelming for the beginner.:confused::banging:

If you like the Suunto line of computers and are planning to become a Nitrox Diver, then I'd inquire with the LDS about letting you move up to the Vyper.

We have lots of Vyper users here and they like it a lot. I own the new Vytec and am really like the way it functions.

Suunto and the dive shop would probably alllow you to upgrade to one of the nitrox models if you pay the difference. Sounds fair, doesn't it?

As Mike said, the Vyper is a very popular model. If you want air integrated, there's the Cobra.

Thanks for the quick replies, you guys are great.

I definately want air integrated, but I thought the Vyper was. I guess I need to do some more research.

I am not a dedicated Suunto user, it's just the one that I bought because it was the best deal. I suppose I could ask the dive shop to exchange it for something totally different.

Keep 'em coming, I love to hear all your input.

a dedicated Suunto user and really do not care for the favor. I like the suggestion above to move up to the vyper and don't see why your dive shop would refuse that option to you either.

Thanks for you input.

What I have decided to do is keep the EON lux, and when I need to see what it says in the dark, I can shine my light on it. My dive instructor says he can teach me to use tables if I am serious about diving Nitrox.

Suunto was willing to let me swap for the Vyper, but it would have cost more than $500, and I would rather spend that money on a BCD or regulator as I own neither.

I am going to post a new question for information on how to choose a regulator that is right for me. I have been at the mercy of the dive shop staff, and although I don't doubt they will steer me right, I'd like to get some imput from other sources.

So, if you have any thoughts on the subject, head over there, and let me know what you think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom