Thermocline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think those are the big three. With the first two (heat and wind), it can get really really complicated. Heat can drive surface evaporation, for example, which can raise the density of the overlying water mass. Wind forces can create distinct forms of water circulation (i.e. Langmuir cells, Ekman spirals). In temperate and boreal freshwater systems, the effects of ice are significant as a mixing force.

Although adjacent water masses of different densities will eventually equalize (due to passive diffusion across the "barrier"), it takes a bloody long time. In the deep oceans, for example, water layers have been roughly aged on century scales. Oceanographers refer to these as "old water".

When you hear reference to "permanent thermoclines", this should not be viewed so uh... permanently. Such density layers tend to be fairly uniform, but their precise position in the water column may not be be fixed (particularly in lakes), and they WILL change over time. It's just a stinking really LONG time. Unless some freak mixing agent sneaks in there... like an asteroid impact or giant mutated sea monsters swimming around. Submarine earthquakes or magma venting can do some fun stuff, too.

Hope this helps!

In fresh water we often have several thermoclines and fish definately use them. How, depends on the species, the time of year and the temperature, O2 content and probably other things like Ph and who knows what else.
In the deepest layers (which aren't always very deep) there is often very little O2 in the water and it can be just about devoid of life.

I'm presently looking at NOAA's web page(s) for some thermocline info. Getting a lot of hits, but no descriptions/explainations.... Anyone have any links referencing thermoclines there?

Thanks
Steve

Are there any chemical difference between the layers? I.e. the upper layer has more sun light and O2, and the lower layer doesn't have as much O2, and bacteria growth. Does this cause/effect the chemical makeup?

Thanks
Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom