Thermalution Battery Powered, Heated Undershirt: A Product Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bwahahahaa!! :)

SeaJay, When I mentioned Santi I was referring to there heated vest system. You mentioned you had a TV show so I found your youtube channel and watched a show until an alligator was shot for just being in his own territory. I hope you made a meal (or several of them) out of the gator. I would hate to think an innocent animal was put to death just because it was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

No alligators were harmed during the shoot for the trailer. Davey missed and stock footage was used from Swamp People.

...But we have had to shoot alligators on other shoots when they went after divers on a job. This isn't the first time - or last - that we've had to post 'gator watch, and Davey's the least trigger happy of our guys - and the best shot.

As a SANTI Key Man, I should probably have to get a SANTI heated suit for testing, no? :) Too bad they're only good for drysuits. That halves their usefulness right there.

i just purchased a thermalution "classical 2" heated undergarment, will arrive in several days.
from the glowing review above it sounds like they work very well under a neoprene wetsuit.
i am wondering how well they work under a drysuit when there is more volume to heat.
i am also wondering if you use less undergarments, less weight.
i have a 2 tank lake ontario wreck dive chartered for early june (45 F - 50 F) and am trying to decide which suit to wear.

I bought one of these with the wireless interface and use it with my drysuit in (currently) 52 degree water. I'm using the same undergarments as before, but it definitely warmer at the end of the dive. In a drysuit, I can only use it on the lowest setting without being uncomfortably warm. I did find that I can drop a couple of pounds of lead--a combination of the additional weight of the batteries and less need for extra air in the drysuit for the additional warmth. YMMV.

Hey HeatCker!

Yep... I agree with rwkosh... The Thermalution - and for that matter, heated underwear ('cause it's not really an "undergarment") of any brand name will help you trade bulk and lead for a thinner, simpler system.

In the temperatures you list, a diver might choose to dive either a 200g undergarment or a 400g undergarment, depending on how cold he or she tends to get... Or how much activity is planned on the dive. I dress out warmer, for example, on dives that include decompression stops or long, relaxing immersions. For shorter dives or dives with a lot of current where I will be working hard, I tend to choose lighter weight, less bulky undergarments.

If you add a Thermalution at those temperatures, you'll definitely ditch the 400g and might even go lighter than a 200g and into a Polartech. That is... It'll add about 15-20* to your perceived water temperature.

...And yes, even in a drysuit - the heaters still heat your core (blood) if there's no water layer between your skin and the suit.

"It'll add about 15-20* to your perceived water temperature." ... an excellent way to answer my question.
this will give me a good idea on what undergarments to wear.
thanks for the answers guys.

You're welcome! :)

seajay
have you thought about reversing the shirt .. putting the heating coils against your chest instead of your back.
i tried it on backwards, wasn't much different, battery position similar, haven't dove that way yet.
since we dive in a prone position and since heat rises i wonder if it would work better.

Back
Top Bottom