Thermalution Battery Powered, Heated Undershirt: A Product Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m looking at buying the yellow grade plus vest for my wife. The size is a chest measurement. I was wondering if any woman out there who use this can say if it should be a measurement at the chest or bust. Thanks.

I don't know. But, just a heads-up: heatedwetsuits.com currently has $75 off (through Monday 11/26). I ordered one yesterday (I got the "Yellow Grade Plus" for my wife). FWIW, from what I've read, they (the distributor) is good about exchanges and other service. The thing is obscenely expensive, I sure hope it works (and fits).

Please post a review!

I'm glad this thread is still active after almost 5 years. To ask a specific question for clarification: could I wear a Thermalution system -- like the Compact Dive Series -- on a ski trip without burning myself or damaging the system? @Deep South Divers, you seem to suggest that earlier in this conversation. Just trying to find extra reasons to spend that kind of money. At my own risk, of course ;-)

I'm glad this thread is still active after almost 5 years. To ask a specific question for clarification: could I wear a Thermalution system -- like the Compact Dive Series -- on a ski trip without burning myself or damaging the system? @Deep South Divers, you seem to suggest that earlier in this conversation. Just trying to find extra reasons to spend that kind of money. At my own risk, of course ;-)

I would hesitate to recommend wearing a thermalution shirt on a ski trip. I've got a bunch of heated clothing (Thermalution dive shirt, a couple of heated down jackets/vests, and some plug-into-the-vehicle heated jackets for motorcycling). The Thermalution is both the hottest and has the smallest heating area. During a chilly surface interval I've been known to cycle the dive shirt on-and-off, at the lowest setting. That seems to work reasonably well because (1) there's no insulating layer outside the shirt, (2) I'm pretty cold, and (3) there's a wet surface that between the shirt and, um, me.

I wore it for an extended period out of the water once, when I had to ride a borrowed scooter ~50 miles at night, in late November, without my usual heated riding gear. Again, I was cycling it on-and-off.

During a day of skiing, you might find the heat too concentrated and intense -- it'll feel good for a few seconds when you get on the lift and cool off, but quickly feel like a couple of burning spots, rather than larger area warmth. I'd also be very concerned about overheating the batteries as they discharge, particularly since you'll have layers on over the heated shirt and no water surrounding the battery cases.

This is good info for me too, we have a snowstorm coming and we have a long driveway to snowblow, but the shirt would not work like it does under a wetsuit.

Please post a review!
My wife loves hers! I've tried it on, on shore, and on Hi setting it gets hot! Wear a t-shirt or skin under.
We have the Yellow Plus vest with the wireless transmitter. I don't see an advantage to the sleeved versions since the pad is just in one area. Batteries easily last 3 hours on Low. We're religious about putting the (easily lost) rubber caps on the electrodes when not in use.
My wife lost the transmitter when Velcro'ed to her forearm. So I bought a new transmitter and it was a piece of cake to re-pair the wireless to the vest. Just don't lose the little electronic key that comes in the box!
As for skiing with one of the diving series, I would worry most about the wires. I'm really careful to lay it flat after use and we are careful when she puts it on and takes it off. With all the movement in skiing I would be a little concerned about trauma to the wires. But that's not much of an issue inside a neoprene wetsuit during a dive. But that's why we bought the wireless version. Despite my concern that a wireless transmitter was just another failure point, it's working fine.
All told, we love the Thermolution! I just hope it lasts. Right now we're looking at getting a second set of batteries to stop worrying so much about charging up on a multi-day trip.

The only weak point in the system is the manuals. They're not written in proper English and there are lots of missing steps compared to what we would expect out of a user's manual. On the other hand, the factory answered within 24 hours after an email query. So I can't complain about support.
If you are a cold diver trying to stay in a wetsuit instead of going to a drysuit, this is something worth considering! At $600 it's rather pricey, but my wife will tell you that it's worth it.

Yes, you can operate a Thermalution shirt dry - either in a drysuit or even under your clothing on a ski trip or whatever. No, it will not damage the shirt or the batteries or the heating elements to operate it dry.

I have enjoyed the shirt under a jacket or hoodie while sitting in the bleachers, watching one of my kids' soccer games on a chilly evening. It's great.

Having said that - there are much less pricey options for this... DEWALT and Milwalkee make heated jackets and clothing that's affordable and easily purchased at Lowes or Home Depot for a lot less money - and utilize standard power tool batteries, which are large and powerful and inexpensive. For a ski trip, as mentioned, ski-specific heated clothing is probably preferred... But none of those can be submerged inside of a wetsuit.

I had absolutely zero issues with wires (they're high quality, very flexible, and covered in high-end silicone piping), even after a year or two of constant, every-day use both submerged and on the surface.

So yes... You can use it any way you see fit... And no, I see no issues with that idea whatsoever.

...But yes, the Thermalution definitely is designed specifically for diving, and there are better/cheaper options for dry use.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to use it any way you see fit. No, it won't burn you or melt down in some way. But if you're looking for something that will see more use dry than wet, choose another product and save your money.

I bought a "yellow" vest from Heated Wetsuits/Thermulation on the east coast. First the product: like many other folks, I really like it and found it is comfortable, makes a big difference in chilly water (I find 70-75F chilly in my 5mm sealed wetsuit) and I like that it's thin enough to still wear my lava core hooded vest over and my wetsuit.. and was fantastic when I hit thermoclines in the 60's! The battery life has been solid and easily can do 3 ~60 min dives on single charge (provided I keep it on low)... will be wearing again in the Galapagos next week! As someone who gets chilled easily diving, the vest has been worth the investment for me and inspired me to do some extra night dives on trips as know will be warm enough.

But I do feel the need to provide a warning on buying from the east coast distributor.. I had ordered a size too small and while the Heated Wetsuits team was fairly responsive and were quick to exchange my vest for a larger size prior to my trip, they went AWOL on me returning some spare batteries I purchased. Despite multiple email exchanges and confirmation that upon return receipt that I would be credited back the $180 purchase.. they have completely stopped responding to my emails and requests. I had been warned by a few DM's across the country that they had heard of issues with the US East Coast distributor.. so my fault for not heeding their warnings. It's been a frustrating experience and dissuaded my boyfriend from purchasing from them.

Again, I really like the product and even though an expensive investment, it's made my diving more enjoyable. But just a warning on the customer service side if purchasing from heated wetsuits in NC.. better to go through your local dive shop or the west coast/OUS distributor if necessary..

Completely agree on the distributor.

I had a problem with my shirt in January. The manufacturer (in Taiwan) was extremely responsive, but said I need to work through the distributor for a repair. I've tried to contact them multiple times via corporate & personal email accounts since then...no bounces, no responses.

As much as I love the heated shirt, I'm gradually getting hesitant to recommend it if the distributor isn't responsive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom