Thermal protection after loosing 100+ pounds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaotter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, here is my problem: I have lost just over 100 pounds since my last diving vacation and I am not sure what thickness of wetsuit is going to work for me now.

I understand the best way to figure this out is to get into the water but, I won't have that opportunity before I leave on my next dive trip at the beginning of Nov. so I am now left to guess about what might work.

When I was in Bonaire at the end of last year/beginning of this year I was wearing a 3/2 full suit and I was fine even after two weeks of 4 dives a day.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Wow congrats on loosing all that weight! A suggestion would be to check the water temps in the area you'll be diving usually the resort/ship you'll be staying at/on will have this information. Usually a 3mm suit will do the job however a 2mm vest and a beanie might be soemthing to consider as well both will help you keep alot warmer after a full day of diving.

Alex

You should be fine with a 3/2 in Bonaire--unless you are just unusually cold natured.

I would predict your weighting will change some though.

I dont know about thermal but 1.5 lbs less of lead weight per 20lbs of fat loss. So your weight requirements will probably be 7.5lbs less! Wow, nice job!

Might think about a 5 mil full, or at least a 3 mil full. You'll be cooler. I was when I lost a ton of weight.

I'm far from an expert, but I would wear a 3mm full and take a hood along just in case the 3mm is not enough. Seems like a pretty flexible way to go.

I went to Coz after losing 105 lbs. Take the advice above and reweight :)
Ok I wore an Under Armor long sleeve shirt ( kinda silky skin tight from Gart Brothers)
over that I wore a 1mil fleece hooded vest and over that my 3/2 suit.
It was perfect for 2 to 3 dives a day for 5 days and 2 night dives and 2 Cenote dives
The Cenotes were the coldest of the week
The most amazing thing was the weight I only used 12 lbs of lead where I used to use nearly 20.
Bouyancy control was nothing short of a miracle, it was just awesome.
You will find breathing a lot different also
Have fun and dive alot :)

Al Mialkovsky:
Might think about a 5 mil full, or at least a 3 mil full. You'll be cooler. I was when I lost a ton of weight.
I agree, me too. COnsider a 3 mil hood with whatever you use. As you know, your head being warm will make your whole body feel warmer. Congrats and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom