There's a bill in congress to ban shark feeding dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here we go again. Shark feeding has probably done more for changing the image of sharks than anything else. Bahamas have protected sharks because of shark (feeding) tourism. All the negatives and comparisons with gators and bears may seem logical but are simply not supported by facts. Thousands of divers participate in shark feeds every week and there are basically no incidents. People also dive shark feeding sites when no feeding takes place and there are no issues. They are not being harassed although they will often see sharks. Don't do it if you don't like it.

Consider this fact too. A shark without human interaction is likely to be fearful of a diver and keep its distance or leave the area. Now when that same shark begins to associate divers with food, loses its fear and crosses the path of a spearfisherman attempting to take his/her catch, what do you think happens? I'll tell you. That shark is going to get a powerhead or shaft. Now that doesn't do much for shark conservation does it.

There's always a certain amount of risk in everything that we do that is remotely exciting otherwise we probably wouldn't do it. When you accept the risk and things go wrong the response should not be to ban it but to make others aware that the risks are there.
Otherwise we might as well ban diving due to all the human error fatalities, which by the way far outweigh any shark deaths.

Nanny society...

That's why I said "basically no incidents". There have been two fatalities, one of them unclear i.e. may or may not have been a shark bite/attack. I did the dive where the other confirmed bite that tragically led to the death of the Austrian diver happened. You don't know what you are talking about. This was an individual who exactly knew what he was doing and it was nothing like a typical shark feeding dive. You want to ban an activity because of a minuscule death rate and no evidence whatsoever that people who do not voluntarily engage in the activity are being harmed? There are lots of things you should direct your attention to before prohibiting shark feeding.

Good or bad why does the Congressmen of the United States feel this very limited and regionally localized issue needs the attention and resources of Congress. But I guess that's easier then addressing the national and world problems of hunger, violence, terrorism...

I understand your point and certainly I'm cautious about supporting government regulations.

I think there is some concerns here though and the biggest problem is the lack of data. For example, we know Florida leads the world in shark attacks right. Well is it just purely coincidence that beach goers get bit or perhaps some of these sharks are part of the migrations that come and go from these shark feeding sites? How could we ever know? Note: I'm not stating a position on that just asking questions that are impossible to answer.

Conversely take gators for example. We know when a gator has been fed and it also doesn't move around much when it has claimed a body of water. So when it does become a problematic gator we can easily cull it.

IMO, the bottom line is sharks are dangerous by design. The anecdotal reports I've heard from divers who dive weekly for decades in South Florida are the sharks are bolder than ever. Is this a result of simply less resources, an increase in populations since hardly anyone is harvesting them or a result of shark feedings. Maybe a combination of all three. I don't know.

Good or bad why does the Congressmen of the United States feel this very limited and regionally localized issue needs the attention and resources of Congress. But I guess that's easier then addressing the national and world problems of hunger, violence, terrorism...

The bill is sponsored by Senator Bill Nelson (D) and co sponsored by Senator Marco Rubio (R). "Florida". While it may seem odd that a bill like this is before congress it's actually not unusual. The entire fishery is managed by the government stemming from the Magnuson and Stevens Fishery Conservation and Managment Act. Enforced by the NOAA, the NMFS and state wildlife departments. Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act :: Office of Sustainable Fisheries

For example, we know Florida leads the world in shark attacks right. Well is it just purely coincidence that beach goers get bit or perhaps some of these sharks are part of the migrations that come and go from these shark feeding sites? How could we ever know?

Is there any reason to believe there's been a big jump in Florida fatality rates since the shark feeders got started?

Shark feed diving is not limited to Florida.

The anecdotal reports I've heard from divers who dive weekly for decades in South Florida are the sharks are bolder than ever.

A plus to some who want to see them diving. 'Bold' may mean a reef shark cruising into the area & making a couple of passes before moving on, instead of acting jittery & taking off quickly.

So when it does become a problematic gator we can easily cull it.

'Serial killer' sharks seem to be an extreme rarity. There was the New Jersey region series of shark attacks in 1916, and in recent years there was an Oceanic White Tip overseas. Anybody know of any more?

Now, compare that to the scads of sharks involved in shark feed diving, and be mindful that though minuscule compared to opportunity, shark attacks occur at some background rate independently of feeding.

Seems the burden of proof lies on those trying to outlaw a popular activity and curtain liberty.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom