There rules to tying something to the anchor line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJDevil

Reaction score
Suppose I was on a dive and found something that I didnt think I could surface.

Are there any unwritten rules on tying the item to the boats anchor line? Its not every day your going to find something that you would want to surface that is beyond your carry capacity and if you didnt clear this with the boat ahead of time because lets face it you didnt anticipate finding anything of value of any significant weight. Whats the thought on surfacing something like that?

I wouldn't try to surface a heavy item using my BC. That's why I've got a lift bag, which has something like 80 lbs of lift. If I can't lift it with that, my buddy's got her lift bag. If we can't lift it using those, then its way too heavy to put on the anchor line.

Personally, I wouldn't tie anything to the anchor line. I don't imagine that the captain would appreciate hauling in my artifact. Depending on where and how you tie off, you might also create issues for the divers who are going to foul the hook.

Even if I were inclined to do it, I'd make sure that I understood how the boat was tied in. On my preferred boat, we frequently set and leave a mooring. It'd be kinda embarassing to leave my artifact along with the mooring.

That sounds reasonable to me. The reason I ask is I was on a dive where the divers couldnt surface something and upon boarding notified the captain that they tied their item to the anchor. The captain didnt mind this but I couldnt imagine other boats taking the same stance. This was a pretty beefy boat and the boat did specialize in divers so I assume this took place occasionally.

Thanks for the reply.

As I said in a previous post, Iam into treasure, and artifacts. I am from the keys, thats all I do is look for antiquities. To get it up, there is nothing wrong in using your anchor line if its your boat, if not your boat, ask the captains permission befor doing so.Think as you go. If the seas picked up to 6-7 or better, it could become a safety issue. Other than that, go for it! If you are in the habit of bringing up heavy things, lower a 1/2 line ove the sie to the bottom with a good heavy duty clip on it and you will be ready to haul up a lot of stuff.....Capt. Tom

Tom, if you're bringing up antiquities too heavy to use an 80lb lift bag, I WANNA GO DIVING WITH YOU!!!

:)

Big D

Big D:
Tom, if you're bringing up antiquities too heavy to use an 80lb lift bag, I WANNA GO DIVING WITH YOU!!!

:)

Big D

Me Too..............so when is the next dive.

we always have a half inch line cliped onto us with a bouy tied to the other end so that the dive boat can easy track us in windy weather,,everyone knows where we are all the time..siginal with a couple plucks for the dive boat to come over and drop a bag with a rope and bouy down to you and then he can pull up your catch of scallops , musells ,urchins, lobsters, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom