Therapy time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JTKKavanagh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm back. From where?
Well I learned to dive with PADI at Sandals in Antigua in 2001. And thought UK diving was going to be exactly the same.
Well it was wet and had fish. And there WAS daylight!
Joined a club. Not what you'd call a dive monster. Far from it. If I did about eight a year that was a lot. Fair bit of holiday diving. Then things began to turn.
Marriage broke down one November. Following February got a call while training inland. My dad had died.
Two things I thought I could always rely on were gone. How safe was the diving then? So I got nervous. Started to get worried about air running out, nightmare accidents underwater. By 2006 I was done.
The gear was packed away. But not sold. Thought about selling it often. Never did.
2012 back to the Carribean. 6 dives. Including the Rhone. Got home. Thought about returning. Didn't. Thought about selling the gear. Didn't.

Carribean again. No diving. Saw a few dive boats. Heard about a trip to the Rhone. And tried to wangle my way onto the boat to help out. Went on more than one snorkelling trip.
The last one did it.
There were people kicking the coral, grabbing at the wildlife, a woman shouting at her son who was crying, clearly not happy to be out so deep in a mask and snorkel "let go and stop being bloody stupid".
Had to do something. Asked the kids name. Asked him if he wanted to see the fish. "Hold your breath mate and look at my hand under the water and you'll see the fish."
He did. And he loved it. His mother thought I was a miracle worker. Just said "not really. I'm a trained diver and the first thing we all have is enjoyment. And thats what makes us confident in the water. Make him happy doing this first"

That's when I knew I didn't belong there. Not in any way knocking snorkelling or tourist trips, but there was a lot of ignorant behaviour. More than once I pushed away a wayward fin. Walked past beer bottle tops on the beach. Missed the piss taking of other divers, the same people I could rely on if it hits the fan at depth.
Nobody is bollocking anyone just for being frightened.
So.
Re joined this forum. Getting everything serviced. Forked out on a new drysuit. Joining a club.
Might still only do 8 dives a year. But now the confidence is back who knows?

May make it nine.

Welcome JTKAvanagh to the top premiere scuba forum.

Thanks chaps.
I'm not taking it as seriously this time either. Bought an entry level dive suit and computer, everything else has just been serviced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom