The Zen of Solo.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, no Zen involved - simply total focus. When I'm suiting up I have a very specific order and method of doing it - like an unvarying ritual - solo or not. I do not want anyone talking to me and I certainly DO NOT want anyone "helping" me or touching my gear in any way. They don't know my kit and they could diddle something I don't want diddled. If someone jumps in and "helps" me I break down and start over. It may seem obsessive but... I'm still alive and I have never had a problem UW.

For me, no Zen involved - simply total focus. When I'm suiting up I have a very specific order and method of doing it - like an unvarying ritual - solo or not. I do not want anyone talking to me and I certainly DO NOT want anyone "helping" me or touching my gear in any way. They don't know my kit and they could diddle something I don't want diddled. If someone jumps in and "helps" me I break down and start over. It may seem obsessive but... I'm still alive and I have never had a problem UW.

A sound approach.

I thought long and hard why I prefer solo.

I think I like the aspect of getting away from this earthly world for a while. Just being myself, no social pretense, just true me. Maybe it is something I remember from being in the womb long ago... wet, alone but comfy??? I like listening to my heart beat, rhythmic but slow breathing, listening to the sounds of the underwater world, maybe waiting to hear some part of myself that is so elusive on the surface.

I don't think I have zeroed on the answer just yet.

We must be twins.

As for Zen, it is "simple total focus". All the rest of the Zen thing is people blathering on about it.

Bob
--------------------
Obsessive is good for some things.

I have noticed that if someone tries to talk with me when I go through my pre-dive check, I occasionally forget something.

Me too. Especially when getting ready to dive and all of sudden I have an instabuddy and probably a less experienced one. I tend to switch into DM mode, try to get to find out their skill level, what they want to do, make sure they are ready, etc. etc. Have learned from experience I then have to stop. Refocus and go through the whole precheck again.

As for Zen, it is "simple total focus". All the rest of the Zen thing is people blathering on about it.

I don't actually have a freakin' clue what Zen is, but that sounds good... :)

Knowing you as well as I do, I was kinda wondering was strength rum you'd been drinking.

LOL... I am training for Belize. It's possible that there was a certain "ramping up"... :wink:

Belize - I'm dying with envy.

Anyway, I'm just curious if any of you think that your state-of-mind changes before a solo dive, especially a deeper one.

Before, probably not ... during, definitely. Lots of my friends have told me that I don't know how to relax ... but when I'm underwater by myself I achieve a state of peacefulness and relaxation I can get no other way. It's a huge part of the allure of solo diving for me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom