the World's Largest Waterbed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do mostly beach dives, and I love the surface swim afterward. It is an excllent time for review and reflection.

Zen dive!

My instructor taught be an importat lesson about "SURFACE decompression stops". You see, we have a great dive site here Just north of HorseSHoe Bay( Vancouver, British Columbia ). But you end up parking/gearing up in the parking lot then walking down 4-5 flight of stairs followed by a steep path which leads to a nice little flat dirt area just at the VERY rocky entrance to the water. That being said- going down isn't so bad, it the trek up the hill/stairs that gets ya.

This dive site offers for all pragmatic reasons, unlimited dive depth. Most people who dive there DONT dive 50ft or less.It's more of a 60ft-130ft+ kinda site. So anyways, when we exit the water, we stop right at the flat area by water's entrance for 3-4 min. Then we hike up the hill(50 meters) slowly to the first flight of stairsand sit for a few minutes to catch our breath and then each successive landing up to the parking lot as well. The whole idea behind all of this is you dont want your heart racing after a long or deep dive. Now, to me this makes perfect sense because I was taught this as I was learning how to dive. This became the norm for me, but man, you should see the number of people that will dive 60+ feet then walk right up to the parking lot without stopping once. Way too easy to get your heart rate up over 150 bpm or higher on that little hike. They always say, " Me? No, no, I am fine no problem, I am in good shape." or "Why bother?or "Who has the time to take all those breaks?" I also know guys who drive drunk but always manage ( so far ) to make it home safe but, someday the dice may not roll in your favor. I am all about doing it safely, why rush it? Just cuz you are out of the water doesn't mean the dive is over. Surface deco stops are just as important as the ones on the wet side.
Cheers,

I also follow the strategy of an extra long safety stop. No telling what will swim by and lots of fun watching other divers get out of the water. If things are messy on the surface I go right up the ladder, but I do it slowly and breathing deeply. So slow that the DM's ask me if I am OK.

last thanksgiving, I was diving in Ft Lauderdale. Nice long drift dive with live boat. It seems everyone else went south and my buddy and I went North. When we surfaced we were a good 400-500 yards from the boat, we kicked back on "the world's largest waterbed" for a good half hour while they were picking everyone else up. A boat even stopped by to ask if we were Ok. We told them we were taking a nap and that we were fine. Was definitely an enjoyable time.

I spend as little time aboard the boat as possible. I have a problem with sea sickness if there is the least bit of roll. I'm OK in the water, so that's where I like to spend my surface interval.

Yeah, we usually do this after dives as well. It's usually a general rule for us to hang out in the water for 10-15 minutes after a deep dive. We like to wait as long as possible before having to stress the body right after a dive...

We do that too.....

we'll just float on the surface after a cave dive and jibber-jabber about the dive...did you see that?....let's try that tunnel on the next dive....is that an alligator behind you???:eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom