• Gulf of Mexico

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Caribbean

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • North Sea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sheer poetry! :)

pt40fathoms once bubbled...
I have never had the pleasure of diving in a tropical location, where the concept of using a chainsaw with a 4 foot reach, just to be able to get to the water line in one pass, is something that is as foreign as walking on the moon. Where the only ice that is ever spotted, is in a glass. Where a red nose is a byproduct of the sun and heat, not the cold. Where the women have warm hearts AND warm hands. Where a runny nose is not a sign of a willingness to pursue your favorite sport. And finally, where the BEER is colder than the air you breathe.

Yup, one day I'll dive warmer waters. But for now I'll have to contend with cold water, wrecks, low vis, and warm thoughts.

I respect the comments from the Cold Water Club, as I only have a little experience in northern waters (I will be getting more).

However, minimul vis is not as exciting (in my mind) as diving in water where the vis is 100+ fsw, with massive schools of critters. Or diving in a cenote where you feel like you are sky diving and viewing Mayan ruins under the waves.

While I fully intend on diving most of the locales that were listed, my current favorite is Rivera Maya/Belize. Add in the beautiful beaches and the remote jungles and it couldn't be better.

Enjoy the ride (applying asbestos underwear now :) )
:mean:

I dive every day, and, if I so desired, could not visit the same site twice for a year.

Maybe not the best dives I've ever done, but Tanna Island in Vanuatu has some pristine reefs. The place is very hard to get to and you nearly have to have business on Tanna to even go there. I was there three years ago and had the chance for a couple of dives. Crystal clear water and a vibrant reef. :tree: Bob

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
The very best dive site... is the next one!
What I have found over the years is that by diving and paying attention, every dive is the best dive; there are tiny wonderful things when the viz is near zero, great impressive things when the viz is nearly unlimited, and everything in between. To try to classify the activities of a tiny crab going about his daily routine as "better" than the massive impact of a manta or whale shark may sound preposterous to the novice diver, but if it's a new crab, and I've seen a hundred mantas???
How could I compare the eight minutes nose to nose with a 400+ pound Jewfish to anything? But how could I compare the mating dance of two belted sandfish, and the mad rush of the opportunistic minnows to eat their spawn to anything? How to compare the octopus capturing the crab, the frogfish or the scorpionfish becoming one with the reef?

What a great answer, Rick! :D I can see we're really gonna have fun on those OW dives in early August!

One of the docs at work mentioned Sipidan as a really great dive site. Anybody ever been there?

Top three - I've done Truk Lagoon aboard the Odyssey. That was a lifetime great. Still want to do the barrier reef of Australia with the Coral Sea. Red Sea is on my list of great places to dive.

Next three - Still want to do the Galapagas (however you spell it?). Then there is the Channel Islands off the Cal coast. And last is the waters of the Northwest.

Already done lots of Caribbean diving. Will go back anytime.

I've even done Haigh Quarry. Nicest place I've found in the land of lincoln, but all the training that takes place there, really is tearing up the underwater life.

My favorite cost effective dive areas are the Fl Keys and Cozumel.

You know, lots of you are saying that tropical places are for weenies... I just think you all may be jealous! HA HA HA... I'm glad that I am in Hawaii and can enjoy having a great place to do diving anytime of the year if I want. There are great shore diving spot plus LOTS AND LOTS more! Anything you could want, I have right in my back yard! Caves, reef, boat dives, wrecks (planes and ships), tons of sea life, warm water, friendly people, high visibility, something new every time you go out… what more could you ask for? If you get a chance… you should come here for a dive or two :eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom