The use of AEDs near water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's interesting that the new CPR standards (ASHI) allow for NOT starting CPR under very strict conditions. I was floored.

It's interesting that the new CPR standards (ASHI) allow for NOT starting CPR under very strict conditions. I was floored.

Wookie:

I am not sure what you are referring to, I was just glad that all that 2 fingers from the nipples was all gone. I remember when I took CPR years ago, all the rules caused more stress than helping to figure out what to do and not do.

The other thing that I have learned through the last few years, as that things seem to happen when we are around. A few years back while driving home from the mall, the car in front of me hit a pedestrain, he flew up hit the guys windshield, and up over the roof and into the middle of the road landing in front of my SUV. I was the only person to stop and offer any help. I did not have my cell on me at the time and had to make an onlooker call 911. They did not want to and I had to force them by raising my voice. The guy was not hurt from all appearences, but I do not know about internally. He could not speak english and I could not speak spanish. But we managed to work around that. I was able to tell the paramedics when they got there what happened and what was going on. The next was a car on a freeway spun out and hit the jersey wall, at night. I again was the only person on the dark freeway to stop, call for help and see if they were hurt. They were not hurt, but still being the only one to stop is a little scary. Then just a couple of months ago, a car in front of us on the freeway, fell a sleep at the wheel, left the road and went up an enbankment then crossed the freeway in front of us and ran head on into a tree going about 60-70 mph. He was out cold when we got to him, bleeding from the nose. This was about midnight. It took no less than 20 min to get any emergency help out there, since I was the one that called 911. I just hope I never have to use it and I can keep my head. I did keep my head with all three of these, nervous is to say the least, shaking, but able to at least take control and offer something.

I wish they make CPR dummies with realistic crepatis and vomiting to really train the rescuer in what to expect.

Dont try to overthink the AED to much. If a person has had a massive cardiac arrest, they are probably DRT. CPR only buys time until ALS drugs are administered, and diffibrulation may or may not work. All you can do is try.

I wish they make CPR dummies with realistic crepatis and vomiting to really train the rescuer in what to expect.

Dont try to overthink the AED to much. If a person has had a massive cardiac arrest, they are probably DRT. CPR only buys time until ALS drugs are administered, and diffibrulation may or may not work. All you can do is try.

Not me, as I have a weak stomach and it would cause me to start the same. Even talking about some things can start the gag reflex, my husband thinks it is the funniest thing he has ever seen. He thinks it is even funnier when in public and someone walks by me and farts and this causes the gag reflex, my eyes watering with me running to get to a bathroom and freaking out. Needless to say, I do not think it is as funny. I used to be a dental asst. had to stop because of the smells from peoples mouths that did not take care of their teeth. I would have to stop working and excuse myself to gather myself and stop the gagging.

Fire:

On your avatar photo, the little riding thingy, was that fun??? I saw one advertised someplace and it looks like it would be fun to ride around in. How fast can you go???

Another of the rule changes is that it isn't ABC's anymore, it's CAB. Circulation is most important. And when you're giving someone lifesaving CPR, they will vomit in your mouth. I just vomit back and keep going. It's going to happen, you might as well either get used to the thought, or carry a barrier with you wherever you go. I just get used to the thought. The reality really sucks, however. It's one of the things that professional rescuers don't talk about.

In regards to the possibility of burns and such: In one of my CPR classes (I've taken several over the years) the instructor said something that has really suck with me.

"Anything is up from dead."

Break a rib doing CPR? Better than dead
Burns from the AED hitting metal? Better than dead.

If you're not breaking ribs from sternum, you aren't doing it right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom