The U-853

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AXL72:
Thanks guys!.....bloody search engine cannot deal with 853 or U-853, for some odd reason.

The search engine on Scubaboard basically sucks.

You can't search on anything with 3 characters in it.

Use Google though. You can search by site for key content on Scubaboard that you can't find in Scubaboards search engine.

Goto www.google.com and put in your search window like this
site:www.scubaboard.com U-853
or
site:www.scubaboard.com 853

mike_s:
The search engine on Scubaboard basically sucks.

You can't search on anything with 3 characters in it.

Use Google though. You can search by site for key content on Scubaboard that you can't find in Scubaboards search engine.

Goto www.google.com and put in your search window like this
site:www.scubaboard.com U-853
or
site:www.scubaboard.com 853

Mike...I agree with your bold statement about the SB search engine:thumbs_up:....hopefully we both will not get a vacation:D

great tip about alternative searching:D

AXL72:
Mike...I agree with your bold statement about the SB search engine:thumbs_up:....hopefully we both will not get a vacation:D

great tip about alternative searching:D

Nah... We won't get a vacation for saying their search engine sucks.

They already know it sucks!

(In Scubaboards defense, it's not their fault though. They use a commercial product called VBulletion to run the message board with. This is a limitation of the VBulletion software. It's the same on any vBulletion message board. (It still sucks though...))

Have you tried Uboat.net they have pretty extensive files and well researched information.

LG Diver:
When watching the video clip posted above I was struck by the presence of human remains on this ship. I have to believe that if a US vessel that had been sunk during WWII was discovered (especially at recreational diving depths) the US government would be all over it recovering the remains of crew members and giving them a proper burial ceremony. Why isn't this done by the German government? It seems very disrespectful to me that they would allow the remains to lay there where any diver can disturb them. If I was a family member of one of the crew members lost on that ship and I saw video posted on the internet of divers exploring the ship in this way I'd be furious. I'm not implying that divers have disturbed remains in any way, but it still seems very disrespectful to the crew and their sacrifice to leave them there. Am I off on this? Have the remains since been recovered?

Not flaming you dude but I've never understood this mentality. Who cares what happens to your dead and rotting bones after you're gone. I know I dont. Seems such a waste of care considering all the other disrespect to human lives that we can do something about.

Just so it's in writing in yet another place.

I want my body donated to a place that will harvest the useable organs, then I want the remaining tissue burned and thrown out back in the yard. I do not want to take up any ground space with some stupid gravesite or headstone. If you feel the need to memorialize me, get a keg of good beer and a few bottles of good Merlot and throw a party.

That is all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom